WindowsXP Startup problem

• zetwal
  • Born
  • Born
  • zetwal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello

Whenever i try to start my pc in normal or safe mode, my pc (or at least the screen) goes in standby mode just before i get the windowsXp welcome screen (the one where you can login).

I also have linux (mandrake) installed and linux will start and run normally.

I think the problem might come with the old screen (i sold my screen and i'm using an old 15 inch temporarily) i'm using and it not supporting the resolution (1158 x 1024 at 75Hz - or something like that) but linux works well at the same resolution.

Configuration: windowsXP professional, a 2GHz processor with 512 Mb Ram, 128 Mb graphics card and ample space on my hard disk.

Any help will be greatly appeciated
Thx
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you've already answered your problem. I had exactly this same problem with brand new out of the box Dell computers. I had grabbed the closest available monitor which was an older VGA 15" and the first two computers I pulled out of the box did exactly the same thing you described.

Essentially, you hit the nail on the head. Basically the monitor couldn't handle the newer graphics card / drivers. Where it's blacking out on you is the point where your graphics drivers load.

As soon as I put a new monitor with both computers it solved the issue.

Linux doesn't use the same drivers Windows does which is probably why it works and Windows doesn't
  • zetwal
  • Born
  • Born
  • zetwal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx - I'll try to get a new screen as soon as possible.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts