WINNT or WINDOWS - XP SP2 -- I'm confused.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps I'm blind or just a bit out of it tonight, but I'm trying to figure something out and for some reason I can't find anything on searches.

For years now we've had a Windows directory for 98, a WINNT directory for NT and Win2K, and then MS decided to go back and change it on us in XP back to WINDOWS.

So now I'm sitting here with my relatively new laptop which I could almost swear was WINDOWS with SP1 (but I installed SP2 so fast I can't be positive). However, now I have XP Pro SP2 and the Windows directory is now WINNT. I've been trying to find an answer to this for the last week or so. I'm probably just being stupid and searching for the wrong thing.

I'm also wondering about a conversation that UNFLUX and I were having earlier today. I haven't had a single glitch with SP2 since I installed it (nearly 3 weeks now)...in fact at the moment I'm quite tempted to say it's the most stable version of a Windows OS I've used to date (*knocks on wood). We were discussing the fact that it seems as if the problems that people are having are related to XP Home and not PRO. Just wondering if there is a difference?

Just looking for enlightenment if anyone is privvy to the info.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mine Still Is C:\Windows Not Winnt
  • jupiter
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: is my favourite word after subterfuge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was the laptop upgraded to XP from Win2k?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

No -- it's a Gateway OEM install of XP Pro SP1 which I upgraded to SP2 almost immediately.
  • jupiter
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: is my favourite word after subterfuge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Strange. . I've built 'hundreds' of XP machines but have never seen that...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I finally got to talk to an MS developer friend of mine today. He said it's OK. Gateway must have used an image based off 2000 when they built the OS
  • DevLHuntr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • DevLHuntr

Post 3+ Months Ago

some windows XP machines are set to use the WINNT folder instead of windows. I've seen a few oem xp installed like this. I'm pretty sure that sp2 didn't change your folder, it was probably already like that and you just never noticed. If you like me, you deal with so many versions of windows and slam command lines too quick to pay attention to details like that.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know DevLHuntr, I got the laptop and figured while it was clean and I had nothing to lose I'd give SP2 a shot and truly didn't pay attention to what the original directory was like. Now I understand that some machines are already being shipped with SP2 pre-installed. for example, Dell is already shipping with SP2

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts