WinXP Home Edition automatically logs me out

• Blanko
  • Born
  • Born
  • Blanko

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently got rid of some spyware/adware, and now when I log onto XP it logs me out within a few seconds back to the welcome screen. Same thing happens in safe mode! The taskbar doesn't even load, neither do any programs, just the desktop image. I have been trolling around on the internet for a solution, and all that came up was that a bunch of people had the same problem, but no one had a solution. Does anyone think they can help?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its hard to think of anything real to suggest on this one.. I've come up with a couple of things though..

1. Use a program such as BartPE which makes a installed version of windows xp that'll run off your CD-ROM drive, you'll have to get someone else to make it and burn it for you though. You might be able to solve the problem using some of the tools on that.

2. Do a Repair on it using the Windows XP CD. This way you'll keep your programs and stuff but it'll just replace any damaged files that could be causing problems. You will have to reinstall your Windows updates though I believe.

Heres a link to BartPE(I reckon everyone should have a look at this lil' beauty)
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder

Alkatr0z

PS Please note that dispite BartPE's purpose appearing to be similar to Microsoft WinPE, it is sufficiently different to not have any copyright issues. He details this on the page I linked to.
  • SimonTemplar
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

just a quiestion here does it do this with any account u try to logon with?
also did u try to log on with the Administrator account or not ?
  • Muiche
  • Born
  • Born
  • Muiche

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blanko wrote:
I recently got rid of some spyware/adware, and now when I log onto XP it logs me out within a few seconds back to the welcome screen. Same thing happens in safe mode! The taskbar doesn't even load, neither do any programs, just the desktop image. I have been trolling around on the internet for a solution, and all that came up was that a bunch of people had the same problem, but no one had a solution. Does anyone think they can help?

Try http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6 ... /0901.html

If you don't have a Windows XP CD, you may be able to borrow somebody else's for this fix. I was never prompted for my CD key.

At first, I missed my 5-second interval for choosing to boot from CD, instead of hard disk.
  • angry beaver
  • Born
  • Born
  • angry beaver

Post 3+ Months Ago

so how exactly do we get around this problem of the automatic logout?
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, if you havent Activated XP it does this.
  • Muiche
  • Born
  • Born
  • Muiche

Post 3+ Months Ago

I plagarized all of the following info from Lavasofthelp.com. It worked for me. An XP disk was required; DOS programs did not access the necessary directories. I think anybody's XP disk will work; the license key was not needed.

Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

During bootup, if you are asked whether to start from the CD-ROM or the hard drive, choose CD-ROM.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank (which is likely the case if Windows XP was preinstalled by your computer manufacturer), just press ENTER.

You should now be in the Windows installation folder. Note this location, as it will be necessary for steps later in this article.
At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

cd system32
copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

Now that a file named wsaupdater.exe exists, remove the startup floppy or CD-ROM from your system, and boot into Windows XP. Log on to the system using an account with administrator-level privileges, and edit the registry using this information.

In Windows, click the Start button in the lower left corner, and choose "Run".
For Run, enter:
regedit

and click OK. Using RegEdit, expand

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
->Software
->Microsoft
->Windows NT
->CurrentVersion
->Winlogon

With Winlogon chosen, in the right frame, scroll down and locate Userinit in the Name column, right-click this item, and choose modify. Replace
"wsaupdater.exe" with
"userinit.exe,"
(do not use quotes, and ensure the TRAILING COMMA is present as shown) and click OK. Exit RegEdit.

Restart your computer, and log on to the system using an account with administrator-level privileges.

Go to My Computer, then to the System32 folder (usually C:, then Windows, then System32). If Explorer prompts that removing files from these areas is not recommended, click to continue. Locate and remove wsaupdater.exe, and delete this file.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts