WinXP Pauses for 15 seconds when switching users

• booger
  • Born
  • Born
  • booger

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is WinXP installed on a new (and very fast) machine. Everything works like a charm but, when you try to switch users the screen goes black and pauses for about 15 seconds.

Using: WinXP Pro with Service Pack 1 installed with 4 users and 512MB of memory.

TIA.

booger
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Create another user and see it the same thing happens?
  • booger
  • Born
  • Born
  • booger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply BlueHat. I've created 4 user accounts. When more than two users are logged in, switching users causes the screen to go black and the delay is for about 15 seconds. If only two users are logged in, switching back and forth is no problem, it's speedy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

booger
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't use multiple users on my machine, but I know on my parents new Dell which runs XP home, that when you switch between users that it does take a minute to load the new user's profile and such. As to why the screen is going black I don't know, I think theirs has some sort of splash screen.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

It could be a RAM issue with the slowness. if it is working and you can switch between users I wouldn't worry about the screen going black for a moment. That could be your graphics card causing that.
  • booger
  • Born
  • Born
  • booger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the replies, BTW.

To me it sounded like a memory issue. I built this machine for a friend of mine. What's weird is that his old machine would switch much faster than his new one. The old machine was an Athlon 800 with a 20GB 7200RPM HD and 512MB of SDRam.

The new machine is a P4 3Ghz with 512MB of DDR 400Mhz, two Sata Raptor 10,000RPM hard drives Raided. The system is very fast, it's just that when a user switches to his/her account, it takes 15 seconds or more with a black screen.

I'm stumped.

Booger
  • Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its not a memory problem...

Its a registry problem...
Some components are taking or more precisely "given" more time to shutdown (i know its a user switching..but some modules have to be shutdown and restarted to another user)
Check out microsoft knowledge...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts