WinXP pro logon issue after install of sp2

• mimizini
  • Born
  • Born
  • mimizini

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there. I was wondering if you knew of any prroblems with Windows XP SP2 regarding not being able to logon after installing. Basically, the administrator password does not work, but now all users are requesting a password, when that feature was turned off. I just did a brand new install of XP today while rebuilding my machine and now I fear that I need to start all over. Have you heard anything? Any help is much appreciated, as I'm not finding this exact problem online.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't heard anything relating to this particular problem.

Are you unable to log in to any user account including the administrator account?

If you can boot into safe mode, you might be able to sort out the account problems from there.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

what they said !

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... duct=winxp

Just Kidding.lol

here ya go:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... owsxpsp2kb

and

And if you wanted to unistall it ,and try again....lol
http://win-xp-sp.blogspot.com/

scroll down to : Uninstalling Windows XP SP 2 using Recovery Console:
  • mimizini
  • Born
  • Born
  • mimizini

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I just wasted one of my free sessions with Microsoft on the phone...Surprise surrprise, I was talking to India....go figure.

Naresh was a decent analyst, and did share with me the uninstall of SP2,which was in the document you just provided. Well, my advice is.....don't unintall SP2.

Basically, User accounts could not be changed, even from safe mode. I was able to get into safe mode, but the user accounts from the control panel would freeze up. So, after uninstalling sp2, it hoses the machine even more....no log on at all appears, and you do not have a start menu or a task bar. NICE!!!!!!!!! Thank you BILL GATES!

So....we are trying to get back into safe mode, and failing miserabley...I decided to tell the analyst, it would be more productive to just reinstall the OS.....because it was a brand new hard drive....and a clean install anyways....which clearly states that SP2 is WAY the heck f'd up.

I'm debating on waiting until they iron out the kinks with SP2....you think they will have this resolved in a months time or so? Can we hope?

Thanks for all the information and the prompt responses. Tell me if you think I should even bother with SP2 after this wonderful day of installs. (Lucky me....I have my second computer downstairs to reimage......oh, when will the MS fun end?)

Man, I'm appreciating my Linux box more each day.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hard to believe you had all that trouble after a clean install on a new hard drive. I sympathize. At this point I don't know what to suggest other than another clean install.

You might try loading up the recovery console and entering this at the prompt:

chkdsk /r

Might be worth a try but I'm doubtful.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts