WinXP Startup sound problem.

• Kantil
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Kantil

Post 3+ Months Ago

I finally got sick of the annoying music that XP uses for startup and shutdown, so I recorded my own sounds. They sound fine, so I set them under the control panel>sounds applet, no problems there. They play fine when i click the sample button in the applet. So I reboot my computer to listen, and as it shuts down, the sound plays nicely. However, after it boots back up, the sound that I set for the Startup sound only plays for about a second and cuts off. It plays for different lengths of time each time I boot up, but it's never more than about two seconds. My clip is about twenty seconds long. Does anyone know why it won’t play correctly?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no link or evidence to back this up, but if I had to take an educated guess, I would suspect it has something to do with the fact that there is a lot going on when Windows is loading. Drivers, programs, services, etc are all starting. Each of those processes will want your CPU and RAM's attention. There may simply be too much going on in the background.

Try elliminateing unnecessary services, and start up programs as you can. You'll find many good performance tweaks at tweakxp.com

When possible, if you have programs running at startup, such as RealPlayer, AIM, etc try opening the program and disabling the startup option in the properties/options area.

I can't promise you that will get your sound working like you want it, but it may.
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would go with what ATNO/TW said...(also..what´s the extension and size of the sounds?)
I also recomend this litle piece of soft (Startup Control Panel) -it appears in your control pannel and you can see and choose all startup progs (easier than msconfig)
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most probably it limits all the system music to a certain time. Thats why all of those are 2 to 3 sec. long. And for extension I know that it supports only .wmv. Its difficult to find out that exact limit but most probably you may not be able to play a 20 sec music to play for any scheme. You may also try for other functions like opening program, print complete, question etc. to play your desired sound with the length of 20 secs.
  • wapitikev
  • Born
  • Born
  • wapitikev

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kantil wrote:
...My clip is about twenty seconds long. Does anyone know why it won’t play correctly?

This exact same problem happened to me when I upgraded from Win98SE (ugh) to XP. I suddenly became unable to use a 59-second wave clip as my custom startup sound. I chalked it up to a glitch in the new XP startup code and waited to hear on the forums that it had been fixed...time went by but no answer.

I just got a new laptop last week and decided to make it work this AM no matter what. As it turns out it is a problem with the overall file-size of the Wave file.

My original wave file was 5.5MB. When I converted the file into a much lower bit-rate (and the file size shrunk) suddenly it worked again! I experimented with various frequencies and bit-rates and eventually got the file to a higher frequency (32kHz) than the original recording, but a lower bit-rate (8bit stereo). That combination allows a file size of 3.7MB. A file size at a higher frequency but still 8-bit resulted in a 5.1MB wave file that did NOT work...

In short, the frequency and bit-encoding shouldn't matter; just the file size (sorry I cannot provide a narrower range than somewhere under 5MB...but 3.7MB works for certain!)

...so convert your wave-file to acheive a smaller overall file size and you should be back in business!

Cheers,

-Wapitikev
  • tweakboy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tweakboy
  • Loc: Glendale

Post 3+ Months Ago

You shouldn't have done that, How big was the file,
  • packrateric
  • Born
  • Born
  • packrateric

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a solution to this...

1. Create an HTML file with the following content:
<html>
<embed src="file:///C:/MyMusi~1/WHATEVER.wav" autostart=true>
</html>

2. Add a shortcut to the HTML file to your Startup folder.

3. Enjoy your custom startup sound!

NOTE: This will open up your default browser on startup. Also, be sure to disable the startup sound in control panel.

Let me know if this works for you... it did for me! (I don't mind it opening the browser since I usually need to open it anyways!)
  • devnullius
  • Born
  • Born
  • devnullius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also got a custom startup sound, approx. 3 minutes - less then 1 MB in size.

Still, after say 60 seconds the sound gets cut-off and stops. The rest of Windows will load.

Anyway, I just reply to mention that the actual max. wav size is 4MB, according to different sites I found. So you know ; P

Peace!

Devvie

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare
------
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! - (© 1995-2001 by Coredump; 2002-009 by DevNullius)
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

A lots of device drivers, programs and services start during startup. A 20 sec audio is indeed a long audio... :hmm:

I myself supplied a James Bond theme sound (a snippet) about 6-7 secs long. It worked well. I think you're overloading you computer :crazyeyes: startup and things are mangling up. Try a smaller audio..

Take care. Happy windowing!!!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts