WinXP stopped burning CD! Please help

• SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have WinXP Pro + SP2 + All online updates. Things were well until I formatted my HDD & installed Windows again.

Whenever I try to burn files on a CD (data) using explorer (built in CD burning of WinXP), it keeps me telling that there is no writable CD in the drive!

I can still burn files with 3rd party softwares like DeepBurner. WinXP can still read files from the CD/DVD.

I am using SAMSUNG SM-352B Combo drive (CD R/W/RW, DVD R).

Guys pleese help me out.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello SKJoy2001.

Go to start > Run and enter: services.msc

Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" and make sure that service is running. If it's not, double click on that service and then click 'Start'. Make sure the Startup Type is set to 'Automatic'.

If it was already running, try following these steps:
Go to start > run and enter: devmgmt.msc
Open DVD/CD-Rom Drives
Right click on the drive you are having a problem with and select "uninstall".
Click Ok
Right click on DVD/CD-Rom Drives and select "Scan for hardware changes". Let it reinstall the drivers.
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

u r right, the IMAPI CD Burning COM Service was set in Manual mode & were not running. I set it to Automatic & also started the service.

But now it behaves abnormal! I am getting the same error messege that there is no writable CD in the drive! Now when I am checked the service list, I found the IMAPI service stopped automatically without any kind of notification! There were no system error messege, no notification, no nothing, the service just stopped silently! I checked for it's dependancies, there is no dependancy for the IMAPI service.

I have no idea what is going on! Now i really should try uninstalling & reinstalling it from the device manager :(
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to start > run and enter: eventvwr.msc

Go to System and see if you can find any errors related to the Imapi service.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SKJoy2001 wrote:
u r right, the IMAPI CD Burning COM Service was set in Manual mode & were not running. I set it to Automatic & also started the service.

Normally it should work fine when set to manual. The service will run only when needed.
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i've uninstalled & reinstalled the drive, things gone more weired this time, now WinXP detects it as a CDROM only, not as a burner! :o
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did drive come with your computer or did you buy it separately? If separately, did it come with a driver disk?

If not, try uninstalling and rebooting the system. I'm searching for drivers for that drive in the meantime...
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've bought it seperately, there were no driver CD, but I've downloaded a firmware patch from SAMSUNG site & also have applied & that didn't correct the trouble. I have rebooted the system & still helpless! I'll reapply the firmware patch now & let me see what happens...
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

applied the firmware & rebooted the system... no improvement :( still the WinXP gets it as a standard CDROM, no burning facility :(
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try uninstalling the device again and then reboot.

Are you sure you applied the right Firmware patch? Do you have a link to that page?
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've always applied the patch right when i start installing hardware drivers after an OS reinstall, this weired trouble began only this time. i am trying uninstalling it & rebooting the system.

the patch is called "SM-352B Firmware T806 Combo drive"
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look at this hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883523

Quote:
SYMPTOMS:
Your CD-RW drive is not recognized as a rewritable drive by some software programs in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005.

Note Your CD-RW drive may function correctly in the software program as a CD-R or as a CD-ROM drive.

The page, however, does not support a link for the hotfix. They want you to call Microsoft.

Also, since you just reformatted, I would suggest reformatting again and NOT installing Service Pack 2. Seriously, from what I have seen it does so much more harm than good.
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, the uninstall & reboot didn't work :( my CDRW is still a CDR :(

Please LucasSix, say something good to me, I am frustrated!
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to have to say it is a SP2 issue with your CDRW drive. You are probably going to have to either (1) Call up Microsoft and try to get the hotfix, or (2) Get rid of SP2.
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree LucasSix it is a WinXP SP2 issue. But it is hard to be logical. I have reinstalled my OS only a week ago, before that, there were no trouble with this though my system had SP2 from the begining!
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh! I was under the impression that you reformatted, then put SP2 on for the first time. :oops:

Well, it may still be that issue. I'll keep looking for other possabilities.
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

JrzyCrim, here is the link to the firmware, I think this is an authenticated source & the right version/thing for my SM-352B device.

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/produ ... kdrive.sec

They also says there is no need to install a driver for the device as Windows has all the required drivers built-in.

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/opti ... 013358.htm
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

guys help me, things are weired!

i have restored my system back to couple of hours (to Nov 22, 10:00PM restore point) & now the system is detecting it as a CDRW, 3rd party applications now can burn, but still WinXP itself is unable to burn even if IMAPI service is running (it always says there is no writable CD in the drive)!
  • XP3RIMENT
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: HE HADA 3HAT'

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have same problem with my DVD-R/CD-RW. It worked fine untill...Also my native CD-RW works just fine. SP2 sux...I like its pop-up blocker thogh =)
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a fresh reinstall of Windows XP Professional Edition with SP 2 & all online updates. I have also setup all the softwares that I use (a huge number).

My burner just works great!

Windows itself now can burn CDs, so I assume all 3rd party burns will also do as expected.

I have changed no hardware, & ofcourse installed the same Windows XP Professional that I had before. I didn't even do a servicing of my burner!

I really have no idea what went wrong before or what went good now! So, now, SP 2 can be released off the accusation related to the issue, at least.
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, after a many days I came to know it is the Intel Ultra ATA driver issue, don't install it unlesss you really need it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SKJoy2001 wrote:
Well, after a many days ...

*lol 4 years later? *grins

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts