Wiping Free Space?

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use a program called CCleaner and it has a feature to wipe free space... what does that mean? It has 2 options (1: Wipe Free Space; 2: Wipe Entire Drive (All Data Will Be Erased). Obviously, on the second option I'll be loosing my data (which I don't want), but what does wiping free space do? It doesn't say that I'll be loosing any data...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

...why are you using it if you don't know what it does?

Wiping free space *probably* means that it's overwriting the free space on the partition with random data so that whatever was there before is no longer recoverable (when you "delete" a file, you're essentially just removing the inode that points to the data, but it's still technically there; this is how data recovery tools work -- by restoring these "pointers").
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, that makes sense. I do know what that program is... it has many features that I use constantly, it just has that feature that I don't know what it is.

But I do use the program for the many other features it has!! I'm not one to download random junk from the internet and use them :lol: I've used the program for quit a few years now!! I would go so far as to recommend the program to everyone!!!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

CCleaner is one of my number 1 programs in my toolbox and has been for years. It's particularly useful cleaning up temp files, log file, file dumps, etc when a computer is particularly low on free space. Also useful for cleaning up trojans that hide in temp directories, and I really like the registry cleaner as well.

And I feel spork is about spot on, on the free space thing.
  • gmulak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Tustin, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

CCleaner ia a great program, it is a good thing that you use it! Ans, Spork is correct, usually when you delete a file only the first part of the filename is deleted along with a "flag" that marks it as erased. It is not actually written over until a program like ccleaner does it or another file is written over it. That is how the "unerase" programs work, especially if you do them right away when you realize you have made a mistake.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wiped free space and just for fun got myself a file recovery program and ran it and it found a whole lot of files names 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz' with pretty much nothing in them. Thanks :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts