Wireless network: computers don't see eachother

• kameelpeerd
  • Born
  • Born
  • kameelpeerd

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am setting up a wireless network between my Vista desktop (connected to internet via wired modem) and my XP laptop. Both computers have a wireless adapter and see a number of other wireless networks, but they do not see eachother. E.g. on the Vista computer: "Connect to network" gives a list with available networks; this does not contain my XP computer.

Both computers have been set to WPA/TKIP, the same SSID and security key. The XP computer has the LLTD loaded (this was not by default) and this is enabled on both computers.

Probably I am doing something wrong, but what ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your XP computer is not listed because it's not a network. Wireless connections go through a wireless router. That way the IP addresses are on the same subnet.

It is possible to setup an ad hoc connection between the 2 PCs but that's not the best way to go.
  • geekdw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Your XP computer is not listed because it's not a network. Wireless connections go through a wireless router. That way the IP addresses are on the same subnet.

It is possible to setup an ad hoc connection between the 2 PCs but that's not the best way to go.

What he said!

What you're seeing in the network list is peoples' wireless routers, not computers. Buy a wireless router, you can't have a wireless network without it (well you can but that's beyond this post)
  • kameelpeerd
  • Born
  • Born
  • kameelpeerd

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks !

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts