Word 2003

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

When loading up Word 2003 the file button won't open it's options which as you can imagine is a pain in the butt.

I've tried installing update in the hope that this will fix the problem but to no avail. I've been informed also that the original office CD has been installed and had no luck with that either.

Any suggestions on what the issue is and what can be done to solve the problem?

Thanks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try opening Word in safe mode. When you open Word in safe mode, it should look for problems and attempt to resolve them. You'll normally be prompted with options. (*note - not Windows safe mode - just hold the CTRL key down when opening Word)

About Word and Safe Mode

Another common reason for Word problems is the normal.dot file gets corrupted or altered. Scroll down this KB article for info on normal.dot
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005

That article also has other suggestions for repairing Word.
Normally though if you use the Windows Search to find and rename or delete any instances of normal.dot that you find, Word will recreate it correctly when you open it, and should resolve most issues.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Mark. Just had to delete the normal.doc file in the windows>template folder and reopen Word and there was no issues.

I did happen to try out the safe mode but nothing seem to fix itself.

For the record i didn't actually know how to open up safe mode on microsoft office programs. If anyone sees this and like me doesn't know how to open in safe mode, all you need to do is press CTRL and hold it while you click on the microsoft office program and keep it opened until the message "are you sure you want to open in safe mode" comes up.

Thanks again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts