MS Word files saved on network randomly opening read only

• Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a strange issue. I have a user on my network that saves files to her "User drive". Randomly when she opens documents specifically in word they open as read only and then cannot be saved. I checked all her permissions and everything is correct. She has full access to the folders and files. I checked the files themselves and they are not flagged as read only.

And its not happening to every file. Just random ones.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks
Dangles
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the file is in use by another application or another user, it will be "locked" and come up "read only". This is Microsoft's method of file locking for Office applications to prevent two users from altering a document at the same time.

You can check this on your server for verification. Next time it happens look at the server where her "user drive" is. Open computer management console for the server. Go to shared folders>open files.

You should be able to see any open files. Hopefully you'll be able to see what user or application is locking the document.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO, though the "user drive" is a drive mapping that only she has access to. No other user has access to this space. Its actually the home folder for the user.

Dangles
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did understand that. It's still possible that she has it somehow "hooked" herself either by closing the document incorrectly or by some other application. The process I detailed above should show you (even if it is only her). But you have to look on the "user home" server. Not her local workstation. (although you might check both just to be sure.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok,

I checked. Before we tried opening a file, nothing was listed as being open. Once we tried to open a file. The file opened in word as read only. When I checked the open files then, it showed the file being accessed. But not by her, it was showing being accessed by one of the service accounts we have set up for our fax server. I checked and she is logged in as herself, this is very strange.

Dangles
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK. that confirms what I suspected but not sure why that particular service would be using it. Double check her machine to make sure the fax service is not set as her default printer. (or make sure the document is not somehow locked in a que on the fax server)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If worse comes to worse and you can't resolve this, close the file. Make sure it is not showing in use anywhere, then try renaming it in Windows explorer and see if it will open normally then.
  • dunctait1
  • Born
  • Born
  • dunctait1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dangles wrote:
I have a strange issue. I have a user on my network that saves files to her "User drive". Randomly when she opens documents specifically in word they open as read only and then cannot be saved. I checked all her permissions and everything is correct. She has full access to the folders and files. I checked the files themselves and they are not flagged as read only.

I just had this problem and found this website.

The solution to my problem is that when I created the share I left the *share* permissions as 'Everyone: Read' rather than setting 'Everyone: Full Control', so even while the file permissions were fine, the share permissions were overriding them as read-only.

Hope this helps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts