Workstation is having a fit

• lemgo
  • Born
  • Born
  • lemgo
  • Loc: Newport News, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Got an interesting problem that I thought I'd throw out to you. Got a network with 20 workstations all running Win98SE and routed to the internet via DSL. All machines can see each other, ping, etc with no problem. About a week ago one machine decides it "can't display page" with a dnserror in IE. I have double checked tpc/ip settings (match those on the internet accessible comps.), security, permissions, even reloaded client for ms windows and protocols. No new s/w or h/w has been installed. Have I missed something or has IE just bit the big one? Thanks for the help :?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not much of a networking person but to throw out some ideas.. NAT problems? Hosts file alright? Firewall problems ? Misconfigured ?
Umm Obviously Gateway is set up alright, Why not ghost one of the others over to it and see if it works then ? Just an idea to reduce the number of possibilities for errors. i.e. remove the client computer itself as the source. Umm Temporary Internet files directory ? I've heard of IE not showing images when the Temporary Internet Files directory is too large, perhaps something similar ?
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds like spyware try one of these or both of them on that machine
AD-AWARE
SPYBOT

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts