Would you call this hacking?

• jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

So here I am, bored one day at my high school. I look at the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, and see 'Map Network Drive.' I'm intrigued, so I click it. I see I can connect to network folders and assign them a drive name. So I click browse, scroll through just about each computer to see which folders are shared, and I see a computer teacher has stupidly made her account folder shared. So I have access to all of her documents! I quickly copy the files onto my flash drive (took a while actually), and just tonight I sat down and sifted through the files. I saw a file called 'Exam Answers.docx.' I said "WTF - .docx?", so I googled it, found a converter, and opened it. It was the answers to the end of the year final exam! I don't have that class, but I know people that do. So, my method of getting the answers - is that hacking? I wouldn't say so, because it was a SHARED folder! She basically said "Ok everyone, you can all access my folder! Take and read it all!" - if you know how that is :).

I am thinking of selling the answers to make a few quick bucks.
Which I do know is not a good thing morally... maybe not even legally.

Give me your two cents please, thank you.

-JC
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

So what you're saying is, it's ok for me to take the email address I see listed here for you and sell it to spammers, right ?

Come on haven't you ever seen Saved By The Bell ? We all know what's going to happen.
You'll sell the answers to too many people, then too many people will get grades that are too good, and the teacher will get suspicious & make the whole class take a new exam, then people will want their money back & you wont be able to give it back because you bought a new toy & they'll threaten tobeat you up.

Or, the teacher is smarter than you think, and purposely put a bogus file there to see who would cheat.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't the point of school to learn something? I know high school is different, but as a college student, I sure as hell ain't paying tuition out the rear to cheat my way through classes.

$0.02: you probably wouldn't appreciate someone exploiting you due to a mistake you've made, and I doubt this teacher would either. As far as selling the documents, anyone who chooses to purchase them neither values their education nor deserves it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't listen to spork, do it. It's a good idea.
I'm on the edge of my seat wondering if it's a trap or not ! :D
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:imwithstupid:

I will admit, I'm kinda curious as well. Also, did you check to see if you have write privileges on that folder? That could open up a whole world of possibilities. :lol:
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow you people are evil lol.

I dont know if I just have morals or what but I have complete access to all teachers content in my school and I dont steal it lol.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are people who tell. Don't do it.
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert: My email is not listed (publicly anyhow), and if you met the teacher, you would agree she is not the brightest of people.

spork: I personally wouldn't buy test answers, but there are those who do. I plan to exploit those people like cigarette companies do smokers. If I made an exploitable mistake, I would learn and move on.

joebert: Your tune changed. I hope its not a trap... but I doubt it.

spork: I do have write privileges. :) If I ever feel like it, I could probably edit some files that may impact peoples grades. And I just thought of something - If I were so inclined (requires bad bones), I could alter the exam answers on her computer, so that when graded, the wrong "correct" answers were checked upon. But I won't do that - I'm not that mean >:).

spooF: Your network administrator sucks if all the teacher files are public. I'm usually the kid that finds something and tells someone so they can fix it (but not this time). In fact, just this year, all student accounts when on a server, not the local computer that used. They had a buggy logon script, and an error message came up saying that the script at \\servername\dir1\dir2\file.vbs contains... blah blah blah. I thought, hmmm, I wonder whats in the parent directories. Just so happened there was a \\servername\USERS folder with all the students files (individually wrapped of course). So I played a prank on one of my buddies by hiding all his files and leaving a batch file that laughed at him and then gave his files back after scaring him that his files were gone. Ah, good times. Then I told the admin and he blocked it blah blah blah.

Bogey: The people I give the answers to, I trust them. They are friends.

Anyhow, the answers are printed, and will soon be in the hands of less illustrious students. :)
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

They're not public, I just have access to all the passwords, then again I'm a Computer Technician for the district.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would not sell it. I would just give it for free...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
joebert: Your tune changed. I hope its not a trap... but I doubt it.

Yeah, it's like when someone says they're going to do a belly flop from the high-dive and you tell them not too because it hurts, but then you think about how funny it would be to watch and encourage them instead.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehehehehehe.. I smell a big trap also.

The kind of trap that gets lots of people a 0% mark because all the answers listed are plausible, but wrong. The kind of trap that gets people expelled for cheating because those same answers couldn't be arrived at by getting the question wrong, and the kind of trap that gets the seller of the information a really good beating off a collection of upset cheaters... As a BOFH for the local education department it's the kind of trap I am asked to set up from time to time when a particular school is suspicious of test answers being stolen from the school network.

Go for it.. I haven't had a really good laugh in ages and ages.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts