yahoo closes as soon as opened

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I reformatted my PC and reinstalled Yahoo Messenger. Now it just opens and immediately closes. I uninstalled and reinstalled, no improvement. I reformatted my PC again, assuming something was amiss there, reinstalled Yahoo, it still crashes and closes as soon as I open it.

It just comes up with 'Yahoo has encountered an error and has to close'

I have loads of friends I chat ot on Yahoo and now no access to them.

Any ideas?

C
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What Operating System and what version of yahoo messenger?
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
sorry, should have said...
Win XP Pro and I have tried old versions and the latest versions of yahoo messenger and downlaoded those new ones from both the uk and .com yahoo sites, in case they differ. Same problem with all versions. Both the old and new versions used to work on my PC fine. When I first reformatted, I installed an old version... 5.6. It was fine the first coule of times I opened it then the closing started. I removed it and downloaded the latest version and it too closed as soon as opened.

It's only since I reformatted that I seem to be having trouble. Everything else seems to be working fine, as far as I can tell.

I got impatient and reformatted my PC again last night to see if that helped, then reinstalled the latest Yahoo messenger. It was fine for a while then started the closing on opening business again but, at the moment it seems to be working again. I'll get back to the forum if it starts playing up again. It may, I don't really trust it to last but we'll see.

Thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you install the service packs and critical updates after reformatting? Also, if you haven't done so, in the Optional Windows update, make sure you install ActiveX 9. The new messenger programs may need ActiveX 9 to function properly.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts