3DSMAX - Please help!!

• scottishmartin
  • Born
  • Born
  • scottishmartin
  • Loc: Fife, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm trying to create a video from a 3d animation in 3DSMAX, but i want to apply a video as the material on a section of an editable mesh, so that the video will play on the object. i.e like a tv screen does.

Does anyone here know how it can be done, i know it can be because a lecturer at college shown me how to do it a year or so ago an d i've forgotten (opps!!).

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Martin
http://www.tornadodesigns.co.uk
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

what version of max and what renderer system (max default, mental ray, etc)?

I'm pretty sure that you need to be using a special mental ray shader to play video so if your using the scanline renderer than you probably won't get the option.

You might end up needing a plugin though. I seem to remember hearing that video textures were removed from max in ver 7 or 8
  • scottishmartin
  • Born
  • Born
  • scottishmartin

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm using max 8 with just the standard rendering system.

Regards,
Martin

I've had a thought and think it may be easier to make the 3d design in max render it and import it into flash with the video and build it that way.

Regards,
Martin
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that does seem like a better solution. Let me know if it works. I've actually stopped using Max very much and migrated to C4D since the latter actually does a lot of those kind of things in a much less convoluted way.
  • scottishmartin
  • Born
  • Born
  • scottishmartin

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
yeah that does seem like a better solution. Let me know if it works. I've actually stopped using Max very much and migrated to C4D since the latter actually does a lot of those kind of things in a much less convoluted way.

Hey,

Yea i finally got it had to render the scene in max put it into flash put video to it, export to adobe premier add music and eventually export as avi.

If you want to view the finished video i've uploaded it to youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZRv8hQ2AQ8)

Thanks again
Regards,
Martin
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reminded me of a song i'm actually beginning to like. I wasn't sure of it when it first started playing here just a few miles north of you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts