Can Everyone See A Gif or Png?

• silvergirl
  • silvergirl

Post 3+ Months Ago

On my ecommerce site, I want to use a different font for the name of each product on its own page. The rest of the text will be a common font. I thought using a gif or png format instead of messing with font families might be a better way to go for the unusual fonts. Will Mac users see what I see with my PC? Is there a better way to go with this?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unless the font is installed on the computer it won't be recognized. Makes no difference if it's a Mac or PC. So the image solution is viable. gif's should work for all users. PNG has some issues in IE6 in terms of visability. If you save in png 24 bit format vs. 8 bit you should be safe.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Will Mac users see what I see with my PC?

This is a pretty nice tool, I've been using it for a year or three now. It has a mac/win-default section in each list, as well as a "safe" list.
http://typetester.maratz.com/
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that safe list should serve you pretty well as far as alot of Linux distributions go too.
Unless you're using the default fonts that come with at least one operating system, chances are alot of people could be missing the font.

Images work, if there's heavy anti-aliasing (smoothing) in the font you will want to go with PNG, if it's a relatively blocky looking font GIF should be fine.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Bookmarked :)
  • navidimran
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • navidimran

Post 3+ Months Ago

.GIF format suggests that you are trying to view animated pictures and .png formats are also a common format these. if you even can't view them with Windows Fax and Picture Viewer you can seek help from Picasa Photo Viewer.
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think using gif is better than using png if you are really interested in animated texts. a white background of both your page and image creates an illusion of transparency. animation of gifs adds to the beauty. png transparency is somewhat "risky" on certain platforms (though fortunately such platforms are scarce).

web pages generally tend to be like magazines... it does not generally matter until the user can see clear (and readable :-p) text. it is not certain that users will have most of the fonts installed. so using images you keep yourself on the safer side..!

regards
  • pawpoint
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would definitely stick with the .gif file. I never get any problems with them and they are a versatile format
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
joebert wrote:
Bookmarked :)

2nd that lol

GIF :)

Post Information