Encore DVD issue

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been working with Encore DVD 2.0 for the first time and have made a couple DVDs. They play perfectly when played on a computer, but when played on a home DVD player, they hang in spots (but different places on each DVD). They are consistently the same spots on each respective DVD. The only thing I can put my finger on, in most cases, when it hangs, it's just a few moments before a scene change (although that isn't consistent). I'm burning at the slowest speed to get a good burn (using the Encore burner). The original files are AVI's edited in Production Pro. I used Encore to set the scene markers, not Production Pro.

Anyone have any thoughts?
I didn't put an end action for each scene. I set an end action for the timeline assuming that it would just naturally play from scene to scene automatically.

When it hangs, play/pause/reverse and fast forward buttons on the remote do nothing. All I can do is return to the main menu, or skip to the next or previous scene. If I catch it a few seconds before the hang point, I can fast forward past it. It also isn't consistent. Some scenes transition just fine.

I'm using Sony DVD+R 120min/4.7GB discs. (I also tried burning with Nero using an ISO with same results).

One DVD had several time lines. The others only had one each and are about 45 minutes long.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it has anything to do with your coding. I think it's some compatibility issue. Some years ago, a friend of mine burned some audio CDs for me. When I put them in my Carver CD player (home stereo), I had similar problems. It almost wrecked my CD player. Something tells me that there is a lack of standards, once again.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

What speeds are you burning at? and what speeds can your devices play. I have noticed that when I burn audio discs on my computer that they will skip unless I burn at a slow 4x speed that my cd drive in my car can support. If you burn things at higher speeds than a device can support I think skipping and hanging are the results.

My suggestiong would to make sure you aren't burning your DVDs at higher speeds than your other player can support.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been burning at the slowest speed. 4x

I don't really think it's the burn speed. I've tried 4 different burns and still have the same problem on every DVD.

The reason i think it might be due to the scenes (chapter points) is based on something i read in the help files

Quote:
As part of transcoding to the MPEG-2 compression scheme, video footage is divided into contiguous Groups of Pictures (GOPs), which range from 4 to 20 frames per group. Playback of any frames within the GOP must begin from the start of the GOP, the GOP header. For this reason, when you insert a chapter point, Adobe Encore DVD places it at the closest GOP header prior to the current frame. If a chapter point already exists at the prior GOP header, the program places it at the next GOP header. The time ruler displays GOP headers as white vertical lines along the bottom edge of the ruler. The Monitor panel lets you skip forward or back to the next GOP header.
When you work with AVI files, these restrictions do not apply until you transcode them. When Adobe Encore DVD transcodes AVI files, it automatically sets GOP headers at every chapter point you set. After transcoding, the file is considered an MPEG-2 file, and the rules for chapter point placement for MPEG-2 files apply to that clip. The minimum allowed distance between chapter points is 15 frames for NTSC and 12 frames for NTSC.

But I don't know enough about the program to know if that's it, or what to do about it.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

It could also be the media. I've had lots of problems with different media brands and batches. I'd try a different brand of media and see if that fixes it. You might also want to test a dvd-r I know that some players are fussy about the + vs - but not all of them really fail outright and won't play the disc. Some exhibit issues like your describing...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll see if I can find a different brand of media for starters. In the mean time, I'll also try at my first convenience to set chapter points in production pro instead of Encore and see if that makes a difference. Probably won't get to either right away.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many home dvd players you test it on?
Take it to walmart and try it on some of theirs.

For instance I burned a copy of Tinkerbell, and could play it on computers with a disc, 4 of them (macbook pc pc and ubuntu laptop) but my sony dual dvd/vcr couldn't.

I burn Monsters vs Aliens compressed on a regular dvd and it plays fine on all 5.

You can point fingers at the dvd drive, but it says it plays DL! and it does because most dvd's you rent/buy are DL (but pressed not burned..).

The walmart test will show you where to go.
If it fails there, try different media (cheaper and less frustrating to toil over).
If that also fails, then it is your output from premiere/encore.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts