How to make .wmv files streamable on all browsers/OS-s?

• HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there some way to encode or, I don't know, embed a .wmv file in a custom flash player or something so that it can be directly streamed on a page and to be working with Mozillas and Macs and Linux?

The result I get that I want is pretty simple by a small code that embeds the video in a Windows Media Player, but as we all know, only WINDOWS has a WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER; and the evil thing is, the only way I can save these videos I need to stream is in .wmv format.

So.. any advices what should I do?
..If it's possible at all, that is.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll need to find a plugin for Linux/Mac that can play WMV files, and I haven't heard of any.

Your best option is to convert it to some other format like FLV.
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a good idea, if I knew how without any resolution loss (original is 640x480) and quality loss...

My idea is, check this with Windows IE, like IE7.x:
http://hirasawa2032.com/anime/soraaraydemo.html
and
http://hirasawa2032.com/anime/openingsequence.html
Be patient on the second, it's 22Mb.

That's what I'm after but being able to be played the same way in most, since obviously ALL browsers and OS-s is too much to want.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) I saw it in IE7. Even Firefox on Windows can't play WMV without installing a plugin, so I suppose pretty much useless to have WMV.

I haven't done any video conversions myself, but I believe FLV can support high resolutions, only it might take longer to download. I'm not sure, however, maybe someone else can confirm this.
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, I just got some nifty software that converts those with EVEN BETTER QUALITY in .flv than in .wmv but now's the qestion... How do I embed and flv?

And yep, the first one, which in .wmv was like, 1 Meg-something, in .flv was over 5 but I don't care, that's a special part of the site where people will be warned to wait but there are people who're really willing to wait to see that. I made those, you know.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

JW FLV Media Player

It' free and also very simple to add to your page.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

FLV in my opinion is completely the way to go. I just found the JW FLV Media player the other day. Haven't tried it but looks pretty good.

Personally I just use Flash 8 Video Encoder to convert to FLV and Flash with Flash FLVPlayer component to stream the video.

Take your second example. The WMV took over 3 minutes in your link and still hadn't started playing. So I downloaded the file. Encoded with Flash Video Encoder. Imported into Flash, published it and uploaded it. Time to convert 8 minutes. Time to publish in Flash 1 minute. Time to upload 30 seconds. Final FLV size 11MB The result is this

http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/ozzu/medi ... edia1.html

Will stream perfectly in any browser/OS at your 640x480 resolution. (requires Flash Player 8 or higher)
(nice work, btw)

Another example is the video I made for work. The original AVI file was 715 MB. It took an hour and ten minutes to convert it into FLV and 1 minute to publish in flash. The final FLV is only 22 MB and it is real video. Streams as nicely as your smaller file.

http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/alaronV2/ ... ncy-2.html
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Casablanca and Atno.

I found JW FLV Media player yesterday and I tried it which was actually when I found out that the Ultra WMV MPEG AVI to FLV Converter that I used to convert them to FLV, even though full version, for no reason cuts off the last 5-6 seconds. And in the future I'll need it for probably the same sort of .avi-s like Atno's so really thanks and I guess the next step is getting that Flash 8 Video Encoder. I feel funny that I have so many Macromedia programs and versions but namely that is missing - it seems to be awesome. I tried converting with Flash MX but it went totally wrong ._.
Thanks again!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unlike Flash MX Flash 8 introduced the On2 VP6 codec. In my opinion it rivals H.264

The only thing is I don't believe it's available separately. It came packaged with Flash 8 Professional, and also comes with CS3

There is a free trial of CS3. Upgrade is $199 US.
http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/fla ... o/encoder/
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

So that makes Flash 8 pro then. =)

H.264 by the way has always been a terrible problem for me. I mean decoding it or removing it from videos. Not to mention DivX but I'm probably the only person on the planet who hates DivX haha
  • abigale105
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • abigale105

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think u need to convert wmv to flv format,u can google it ,u will find good tool.
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, so is JW FLV Media Player compatible with most (ugh..all?) browsers/OS-s?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts