Importing QT/AVI Drops Frames w/ Bad Compression?

• Tesseract
  • Tesseract

Post 3+ Months Ago

In XSI I created a simple movie of beveled glass letters pivoting over a background, which I've imported into Flash. The problem I'm having is that on import, Flash drops 60% of the frames. I simply can't get Flash to import all 10 frames, I can only get 4 of them no matter how many frames I have active on the timeline.

Secondly is the compression factor. The 4 frames of the 640x250 movie compresses to 315KB, exactly the size of the QuickTime file I imported. I also tried a single still frame at 1000x400 which compressed to 36KB in Flash. That addes up to 60% more pixels, so at 640x250 it should be about 15KB per frame. Also note that the background never changes, so there should be more compression possible by cutting out all of the pixels that don't change between frames. So I'm think that based on that 36KB figure, I should be able to get the whole movie at 640x250 for around 100KB, if I take all he frames into PhotoShop, cut out the pixels that are identical to the background and then import each frame to it's own keyframe by hand.

If I have to that is what I will do, but what a hassle of a kludge! And if I went to do anything more involved it would turn into a real nightmare. What am I missing here?

P.S. I would just put the whole thing on a web page as a QuickTime movie, but I want to be able to iterate backwards and forwards through the movie rather than having a discontinuous chop at the repeat, or a doubling of the size to get the back and forth effect.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try exporting the animation from your 3d program as an image sequence and then importing those images into separate frames in flash. Placing a QT in flash's timeline is quirky at best.
  • Tesseract
  • Tesseract

Post 3+ Months Ago

> Try exporting the animation from your 3d program as an image
> sequence and then importing those images into separate frames in
> flash. Placing a QT in flash's timeline is quirky at best.

That works great when it's not being downloaded over the web, but I'm still struggling with how to get decent compression without spending my entire life on the process. I saw something about using Sorenson Squeeze, I tried that and it doesn't seem very effective. Could be I haven't figured it out properly, the interface is extraordinarily obtuse for such simple functionality.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm not familiar with a lot of video stuff, so xsi is a little foreign to me.

in any case, if you've got quicktime pro (and if you don't, it's only like 25/30 bucks), you can export as an FLV - don't know if it'll return better quality, but i figure i'd pipe in my two (well, in this case maybe one) cents...

good luck

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts