Problems importing video to After Effects and Premiere

• CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Chicago, IL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to import video that was shot with my Sony HandyCam to After Effects and Premiere for editing. The files are MPG and appear to be bundled with modd and moff files. Both After Effects and Premiere rejects the files and so I can't work. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

cgfX
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anything on your computer play the files?
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, windows media player
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I was thinking it was a codec issue but it probably isn't if windows media player can play the files. Do you have anything that will convert the file to an avi?
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy,

One thank you for your time and help. This is a new computer and I don't see movie maker which may not have worked. I always thought Premiere and After Affects converted but I guess not. Do you know of one that is virus free that I can download free, if not free cheap?

Thank you,

cgfX
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This could be the problem

Quote:
#

MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 formats: MPEG, MPE, MPG, M2V, MPA, MP2, M2A, MPV, M2P, M2T, M2TS (AVCHD), AC3, MP4, M4V, M4A
Note: Some MPEG data formats are stored in container formats with filename extensions that are not recognized by After Effects; examples include .vob and .mod. In some cases, you can import these files into After Effects after changing the filename extension to one of the recognized filename extensions. Because of variations in implementation in these container formats, compatibility is not guaranteed.

AE Supported Formats

The MPG's from my Sony handicam play just fine, but they aren't bundled with the modd like yours is. I just copy them directly from my camcorder to my PC using Windows Explorer and then import into AE and Premier just fine as is.

There's a big discussion on similar problems in this thread with no clear solution
http://dotwhat.net/modd/1964/

Places in that thread seem to suggest that Picture Motion Browser has a converter to WMV, but looks like it may reduce the quality.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well there you go Mark to the rescue again. I guess this discussion would help if I had a sony cam of my own :-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts