Is adding every major city considered spam?

• comicracy
  • comicracy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a question. I am helping a buddy with his SEO on his website. He has two seperate pages, not his main page, that have "serving the following cities" & "will help you with the following ailments" ... well the first one lists about every major city in the US, its a lot of text, the second one lists almost every ailment known imaginable to man... Im just wondering would googles bots see this as spam, since it technically is accurate to his practice and its not repeating the same words over and over. I just want to make sure since I don't want his site getting booted from Google.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think there would be any penalty from that if you aren't repeating the same words over and over. In the Google Guidelines here:

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=35769

It says this:

Quote:
Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.

Quote:
Offer a site map to your users with links that point to the important parts of your site. If the site map is larger than 100 or so links, you may want to break the site map into separate pages.

Quote:
Keep the links on a given page to a reasonable number (fewer than 100).

So with all of that in mind you might consider breaking the pages into multiple pages if it exceeds 100 links. For instance if you are listing cities in the United States, you might break them down by State first. So you could have a hierarchy like this:

HOMEPAGE > STATES > CITIES

or if you have cities in multiple countries it could be:

HOMEPAGE > COUNTRIES > STATES (if exists) > CITIES

If you still have too many cities per page you might even break it down per county like the following:

HOMEPAGE > COUNTRIES > STATES (if exists) > COUNTIES (if exists) > CITIES

If you do all of that you might be able to make it easier for your users to navigate as well as keeping your links below 100 to make your site best for Google and other search engines.
  • eautocad
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Spring Hill, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

keep your keyword relevancy at a decent rate and you'll be fine.. 7% and under is what I shoot for.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts