Adsense Has A Scam Side

• B-mann
  • B-mann

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many small websites have gotten the dreaded termination email from Google? AdSense is a very clever scam.

Here's how it works.

Google never terminates anyone until they cross the threshold for payment. Each month Google targets a predetermined quota of websites for non-payment of funds that have been earned by those websites. They send out the standard termination notice knowing full well that the website owners have no recourse. They tell the website owners that the funds that they have accrued will be returned to the advertisers when, in fact, no such return of funds to the advertisers ever occurs. Google simply pockets the money AND they have enjoyed considerable free advertising on the "offending" websites. Since this is done on a regular monthly basis this is a very lucrative 100% PROFIT CENTER for them.

This is why they only speak in vague generalities about why they have terminated a website. This is why they will never answer a specific request to explain specific reasons for a website termination.

The Google AdSense program is a very slyly cloaked scam. But only for the unfortunate websites that make it onto this month's quota list. Everyone else thinks the program is great. That is until they make it onto the monthly quota list. Remember, the monthly quota list is a 100% PROFIT CENTER for Google.

I strongly urge all of you to find other more reputable firms to deal with. They're out there!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have to disagree with that.

Errors do happen, people do get re-included ( although not easily from what I have read elsewhere) ... but 9 times out of 10 it has been the fault of the webmaster for either clicking on their own adverts, signing up to a mutual click exchange, violating the TOS by having rival advertisements on the same page, having multiple publisher codes on the same page, having a script that would generate clicks on a regular basis, or various other methods that I see daily when surfing the net.

For the honest webmaster, it should not cause a problem.

However, for webmasters that are trying to make a quick buck then it will only be a matter of time before google are able to verify some TOS violation and failure to reply to any google requests to change things is cause for termination of the adsense account.

It is impossible for google, or any organisation to be 100% free of TOS abusers and generally it is a matter of time before people get caught. Often it is nothing sinister by the webmaster, a simple mistake may cause an account to be termiated in the same manner as a deliberate attempt to fool google.

The course of action is the same, account termination. It may be harsh on some people who genuinely made a mistake, but in the long term it serves to improve the google image for advertisers ... afterall, it is the advertisers who will be paying to publish ads on the network and therefore they need to have high confidence in the product... mistake or not.
  • B-mann
  • B-mann

Post 3+ Months Ago

That one mistake out of ten should bother you a lot. When Google accuses someone of being dishonest and offers no explanation it displays a blatant disregard their partners. Too many people have experienced this arrogance for it to be mere happenstance. Even if it was a result of error those people loose their money and Google reaps the benefit. Now that is dishonest! Like I said it is a 100% PROFIT CENTER.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can appeal, And if they believe you are the mistake that happens 1 in 10 times then your account will be reactivated and your money returned to you.

A lot of the time bannings happen not because the publisher has been clicking thier own adverts but because they decieve visitors into clicking adverts, Or suggest clicking adverts to visitors. Anything to increase CTR besides positioning and colour sceme is against tos.

Banned from adsense
  • B-mann
  • B-mann

Post 3+ Months Ago

Appeal? Appeal to whom and how?

Why doesn't Google offer the appeals process up front before they summarily pull the plug on a website? (BTW how on earth could a website owner appeal when Google will not tell them what infraction they have made?) To unilaterally pull the plug on a website owner without warning and steal their money is way beyond the pale. They do this to smaller website owners because they know they can get away with it. This is happening to thousands of websites.

No honest website owner should have to go with their hat in their hands to beg for money they have earned fair and square much less to defend their honesty.

I see a class-action suit in Google's future.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

To appeal you should contact google.

Google have more of an obligation to advertisers than they do to publishers.
If they think you are ripping them off they have to pull the plug on you, Otherwise they lose money and adverisers are likely to start using thier competition.
  • B-mann
  • B-mann

Post 3+ Months Ago

The allegation that Google has a higher responsibility to its advertisers is preposterous--pure and simple. Google has a financial responsiblity to pay its creditors. Once a publisher executes its legal responsibilities in publishing advertisement on its website on behalf of Google Adsense the contractual responsiblity passes to Google to execute its part of the bargain as defined in its "Terms of Agreement". This obligation cannot be avoided by claiming a "higher resposiblity". The agreement Google has with its advertisers is covered by an entirely separate agreement. There is no statement in contract law that supports such a claim of "higher responsibility".

Furthermore, Google cites the "protection of its algorithm" as the basis for not stating it reasons for pubisher termination. And, it has no clearly defined appeals process available to the accused publisher. The fact is, Google has been and continues to appropriate funds that it legally owes to the so-called "10% mistakes" portion of its publishing community. These failures on Google's part could be and should be tested in a court of law.

Co-mingling the so-called "10% mistakes" with the 90% valid violators and, then, issuing the death sentence to both is draconian at best and illegal at worse.
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

B-mann,

You are very well-spoken (or well-written, as it were :wink:), and I agree with much of what you have to say. Namely, that Google is not very forthcoming with information related to dealings with their business partners. I have always been of the opinion that they didn't share more information simply because they didn't have to, based on the stranglehold they presently have in this market.

Yours is the first mention I've seen of this lack of communication being a deliberate and malicious action on their part, and just out of curiosity, do you have any evidence to support your accusations? I'm not saying they're not true - simply that I haven't seen any evidence to support them, either here in this thread or elsewhere on the Web. I'd be interested in knowing if you have more information. :D

Sam
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thy don't have a legal obligation to advertiisers over publisher, But in a business sense advertisers are far more important than publishers.

The only thing i would suggest is reading the terms properly next time you sign up with someone online.

The fact is they had reason to believe you, or someone on your site, was trying to steal from them.
And that's all they need to terminate your account and hold funds.

Most people have no trouble with getting payments from google, big and small sites, So unless you think you have been singled out and victimised i can't see how it would be a scam. At the end of the day they want you to display thier adverts, It means they get paid, But if they think you are ripping them off they will ban you.

And really i think most people who get banned allready know the reason, Whether it was intentional or not, But want to deny it hoping that thier denial will mean they get thier money back.
  • B-mann
  • B-mann

Post 3+ Months Ago

WF,

Thanks for your observations and compliments. As for as evidence of wrong doing on the part of Google, suffice it to say that it would not be in the interests of the "10% mistakes" parties to publicly tip any hands at this time.

However, I invite you to visit the many forums out there that deal with these issues. Oddly enough you can find them via Google Search. You will see a high degree of frustration that exists with a vast number of small website operators that have been arbitrarily terminated by Google. For every expression of frustration you encounter you can be sure there is five hundred that you don't see.

In some cases they may, indeed, be in violation of Google policies but they have no idea what offense they have committed and Google won't tell them. And because Google treats them so harshly they assume themselves to be wrongly treated.

However, in the case of the "10% mistakes" they have, in fact, been wrongly treated. These publishers: A. Have their legally earned money illegally appropriated by an internet giant and: B. Have been accused of dishonesty. Both classes of publishers become highly incensed for basically the same reasons. But, since they are isolated in their frustration, they are essentially conquered by Google.

My purpose in bringing these issues out is to give some focus to those wrongly accused individuals with hopes that they can coalesce into group that can deal more effectively with the arbitrary appropriation of their funds and reputations by Google.
  • B-mann
  • B-mann

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meman,

You state in your post "The only thing i would suggest is reading the terms properly next time you sign up with someone online."

Nowhere in my posts will you see where I claimed to have signed up for anything with Google. That is an assumption that you make, albeit incorrectly.

As for interpreting the language of the legal "Terms of Agreement"? Well I guess that is why there are so many lawyers among us! BTW what on earth does that have to do with Google's lack of explanation of their arbitrary actions.

I guess the accused publishers are supposed to accept it just because Google says so! Also, I think its rather presumptuous of you to suppose that all violators know that they are violators beforehand. Your presumption that I am/was a Google publisher is evidence of what preconceived ideas can do for you.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then whoever these people are that you are so valiently defnding need to read the terms.

nobody has any right to any money earned while using adsense if google decide that they are in violation of the TOS, and good luck going into court and acting as if terms don't matter just because some people are incapable of understanding what they mean.
If they didn't understand the language they shouldn't have agreed to it...

Quote:
I guess the accused publishers are supposed to accept it just because Google says so!

No, they have to accept it because that is what they agreed to when they signed up.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
These failures on Google's part could be and should be tested in a court of law.

If that's true, why do so many people spend time promoting against Google, when they could have a multi-million dollar company by the proverbial balls (see Google logos) in court ?
  • B-mann
  • B-mann

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, now. That's the arrogant attitude the tobacco companies held for years--and it worked for a long time. Until one day---well, you know the outcome! BTW I'll wager that the Google legal department doesn't view the matter as quite the joke that you do.

So on behalf of all the lemmings out here, we'll see.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt the google legal dept are that bothered, They are the ones who wrote the terms, The terms that state if they believe a publisher to be guilty of fraud they can terminate the account and hold funds.

I think your main point is that you don't think the terms are fair, You might be right, They may not be fair, But that doesn't matter, because people agreed to them when they signed up.
The correct time to complain about terms is before they sign up, Not afterwards when the terms have been enforced and people have had thier funds held.

Google are within thier right, legally, to ban people and keep thier money, and no amount of moaning is going to change what is written in thier terms and what every adsense publisher had agreed to.
  • B-mann
  • B-mann

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is true that every publisher agrees to the Google "Terms & Conditions" at the initial sign-up. It is, in fact, a contract. But implicit in that agreement is the responsibility of the parties to execute the agreement in a fair manner as prescribed by the agreement.

You maintain that Google has the unilateral right to decide that the agreement has been violated. You further maintain that no detailed explanation of the violations to the publisher is due or necessary. That may be satisfactory when no money is involved. But when consideration is in contention you can be sure that both sides have their rights. Were this not the case no contract would be necessary. Everyone would just sign up with Google and hope for the best.

The fact is that Google gets away with what it does by knowing that the small website operator cannot afford to litigate a dispute over a few hundred dollars with an internet giant like Google. So Google just moves along steamrolling individual websites owners until, at some point in time, the website owners join together in class action.

You say that you, doubt the Google legal dept are that bothered. That may be true but they should be bothered. Any company like Google should be concerned with how it treats its customers/partners. Lumping the "10 mistakes" in with the "90% violators" just because they think they have all the power on their side is arrogant. And ultimately that arrogance can be costly.

Sometimes you win in a court of law but you lose a lot of money and good will in the process. Google should take steps to deal with its publishers in a fair manner rather than purposely creating an atmosphere of acrimony. How much is bad publicity worth to a company like Google. Only they can decide that.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
You maintain that Google has the unilateral right to decide that the agreement has been violated. You further maintain that no detailed explanation of the violations to the publisher is due or necessary. That may be satisfactory when no money is involved.

It makes no differennce that money was involved, and it makes no difference how much money was involved. The fact is each publisher agreed to the terms, If they didn't like the terms they shouldn't have agreed to them.. That is all there is to it.
  • Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

Information I have read regarding this kind of thing was not so much on where or how the funds were allocated... but moreso on how the information is handled regarding banned publishers.

For example, I vaguely remember reading about an SEO expert who had been banned by google on his hobby website that he had pretty much forgotten about and he was given a standard letter by google stating his adsense account was terminated.

Now, he didn't mind since he had been using adsense for 6months plus and had barely reached the threshold to be issued a pin number. The problem he had was how google had labelled him a 'fraudster' by declaring he had delierately attemtped to artificially inflate his earnings in some form ... via the standard termination notice.

This guy being an SEO by profession, relies on favourable working relationships with his clients who are often high levelled businessmen in the advertising industry ... the same industry that he has been accused by google of being a fraudster ... his concerns were :

How did google inform their publishers?
Was there a list on a toilet wall labelling him a fraud?
Did google proactively inform advertisers of individuals who had their publisher accounts terminated?
Did google release any personal information that could identify him?
Were all google employees bound by a confidentially agreement for non-disclosure of such information?

And numerous other concerns ... as if is privacy was not protected fully by google, and google unwilling to provide information on why he was banned from the adsense programme, he could potentially suffer bankruptcy/ unemployment or severely reduced clientbase due to obtaining a 'bad reputation' which google were responsible for giving him.

Those were issues that I would have thought any lawyers would be interested in addressing over and above the terms and conditions of the actual adsense publisher agreement over the '10%' mistakes being made regarding funds ... but 10% mistakes being made regarding reputations etc
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a very interesting discourse, and I think it will be interesting to see how things play out over time. I'm not sure that Google has any obligation, legal or otherwise, to explain what they view as fraudulent behavior to publishers who have been banned. There are a lot of "grey areas" in the AdSense ToS, and this leaves its enforcement open to interpretation. I would think that by not explaining their actions, however, they leave themselves open to litigation by disgruntled publishers. I think that Google's legal counsel is probably very aware of these issues, and I would guess that their current strategy is what they think is best for the long-term success of the company. Whether that proves to be true remains to be seen, I suppose. ;)

Sam
  • Pokey1
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pokey1

Post 3+ Months Ago

B-mann is absolutely right on this post!

I had my biggest AdSense month last month after promoting my sites with AdWords. Then, when it gets near the end of the month and time to get my check sent out, Google locks me out and sends the robot email about suspecting click fraud.

I appealed it twice and both times received robot replies saying I was out of luck. Something like, "You may not agree with our decision, but we hope you understand."

Yea, I understand that Google just stole a month's worth of traffic from my sites to give to it's advertisers and is now trying to get out of paying me.

They (through robots) are claiming that it's their "sole discretion" not to pay, not to disclose why they disabled my account, not to entertain appeals, and not to bother replying to me.

I'm not happy. It's been 10 days and I've been really patient, but no one replies to my emails begging them to look into it. I've offered everything I could think of, but no luck!

So, now I need an attorney, because the amount they owed me is more than I can file in Small Claims Court.

I never knew this was an issue, until it happened to me! Now I'm seeing thousands of posts about it all over the net. I'm all for a class action lawsuit. Unlike someone mentioned in this thread, I feel they ARE obligated to pay me for all VALID traffic. That's fine if they don't want me in their affiliate program anymore. That's their prerogative. But pay me what you owe and I'll be on my way! Go ahead and deduct the supposed click or two they deemed as suspicious. Now how about the other 15,000?

And yes, I read their TOS repeatedly and fully understood it. They imply that if you break the rules you're out. I broke no rules and received no warnings. If they want to claim "sole discretion", they can pay up and close my account. If they want to call me a fraud and try to keep all my affiliate commissions, then they better prove it in a court of law.

At first, I thought it was an honest mistake or a precaution, due to the surge in traffic I had during the month. But, when they failed to reply to any of my pleas for help, I began to think that wasn't the case at all.

I also wondered if perhaps they were just reviewing all my logs and verifying things, before they allowed me to continue. But that didn't really make sense, because they could've done that without disabling my account. Plus, they could've simply replied and said that was the case. Instead, I'm running all over the net wondering what's going on with Google and are they really out to scam me.

Then, I find this thread. It may be a few months old, but I just wanted to say that Google AdSense is obviously still at it with the scam! I'm going to share this link with the dozens of other people I've seen on other forums posting about it happening to them too. Thanks B-mann!

Any advice on how to pursue this would be great. Not only am I out my legit earnings, but I'm out the thousands I paid AdWords to promote my sites! I was under the impression that the billionaire Google could be trusted and I'd be able to replace my ad expenses after I received my AdSense earnings. I even took out a loan to pay for it based on that fact. Little did I know, I was gambling and my number might come up for unexplainable termination! :(

Richard

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts