Alternative Ads with Google Adsense

• Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I am just wondering about serving alternative ads via the alternative ad url in adsense ... as I recently removed a lot of ads that I didn't feel benefitted visitors to my site and as such have started to look into alternative ads that would work when google fails to deliver any ads.

The type of ad I blocked is basically the ones that most visitors wouldn't think of visiting anyway - but as a result, there is now a lot lower pool of ads available and therefore am seeking some alternatives.

Which type of alternatives are there that I should check into ... that people have had a positive experience using ( and doesn't require tonnes of maintenance).

Thanks.
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ganceann wrote:
Hi,

I am just wondering about serving alternative ads via the alternative ad url in adsense ... as I recently removed a lot of ads that I didn't feel benefitted visitors to my site and as such have started to look into alternative ads that would work when google fails to deliver any ads.

The type of ad I blocked is basically the ones that most visitors wouldn't think of visiting anyway - but as a result, there is now a lot lower pool of ads available and therefore am seeking some alternatives.

Which type of alternatives are there that I should check into ... that people have had a positive experience using ( and doesn't require tonnes of maintenance).

Thanks.

Hi Ganceann,

I've had good results with Allfeeds.com's 'Google Backfill' program (http://publisher.allfeeds.com). It's a pretty simple program, easy to implement, and it's based on your AdSense code for a given site, so it has the same look and feel as your AdSense ads. :D

HTH,
Sam
  • netjobs
  • Born
  • Born
  • netjobs

Post 3+ Months Ago

WebFreedom wrote:
Allfeeds.com's 'Google Backfill' program (http://www.publisher.allfeeds.com).

link is broken...
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

netjobs wrote:
WebFreedom wrote:
Allfeeds.com's 'Google Backfill' program (http://publisher.allfeeds.com).

link is broken...

Thanks for the heads-up. It looks like the Allfeeds site is down right now, probably for maintenance (US holiday and all). I'll let their tech support know if it doesn't come back up soon. :D

Sam
  • Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did sign up as a means to looking into them.

However, I have noticed that it does seem to be going down a bit recently - may just be with the holidays etc .

I realise by me changing ads around july 4th it could be a big mistake lol - but I am more looking at evaluting CTR and experimenting with colours and ad placement etc than worrying about most being low earnings ads ... since my site is new, I am basically working more on trying to get it ranking higher in serps so that more people who play the game discover it, hopefully bookmark it + traffic rising over time then I would be looking at alternative advertising when I had sustainable traffic.

Adsense is basically being evaluated by me for future projects I do eventually hope to get going on other interests. Alternative ads is something I dont mind evaluating as well ... but ideally I will build the site, grow traffic and then look at all types of advertising and find which pays best, is least intrusive and most relevant to my visitors.

Long term plan, but anything that works in the short term is just helping me learn more about my visitors and what catches their eyes etc.
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Ganceann,

I think you have a good strategy, and I employ it as well. I've found that different advertisers perform better for some niches than others, and a little experimentation can go a long way toward increasing revenue. It's also a good way to avoid the "all your eggs in one basket" scenario - something akin to diversifying a portfolio. :wink:

WebFreedom wrote:
netjobs wrote:
WebFreedom wrote:
Allfeeds.com's 'Google Backfill' program (http://publisher.allfeeds.com).

link is broken...

Thanks for the heads-up. It looks like the Allfeeds site is down right now, probably for maintenance (US holiday and all). I'll let their tech support know if it doesn't come back up soon. :D

Sam

Upon further review...I screwed up the link. :oops: The above is correct (no 'www').

Sam
  • EngLee
  • Student
  • Student
  • EngLee

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are lots of alternative advertising networks that utilizes the same ad size, not neccessary the one that looks like adsense.
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

EngLee wrote:
There are lots of alternative advertising networks that utilizes the same ad size, not neccessary the one that looks like adsense.

While this is true, and many of these programs are excellent in their own right, weak customization features can present a challenge with respect to the AdSense Alternate URL. As an example, let's say I have a website about gardening, and I've used a green and yellow color scheme to represent the subject. I then customize my AdSense code to perfectly match the color scheme of my site. Now let's say I use another advertiser in the Alternate URL field of my AdSense code, but their ads are only available in color schemes that clash with the color scheme of my site. They may fit in the same space, but I'm probably not going to get a lot of clicks. :wink:

That's just one example, but there are many other possibilities to go awry. That's why I like the Allfeeds program so much - it's just two or three steps, and the ads are automatically matched on all levels. Not just to AdSense, but to my site, as well. :D

Sam
  • EngLee
  • Student
  • Student
  • EngLee

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe most of the advertising networks provide the color scheme you require. Anyhow, it's the revenue that we care. Maybe I'll take a look at your recommendation.
  • EngLee
  • Student
  • Student
  • EngLee

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey man, I'm seeing sql errors in the page. Are you sure it's working?

Code: [ Select ]
Warning: mysql_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /net1/allfeeds/www/index.php on line 102 Warning: mysql_select_db(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /net1/allfeeds/www/index.php on line 106 Warning: mysql_select_db(): A link to the server could not be established in /net1/allfeeds/www/index.php on line 106 Warning: mysql_query(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /net1/allfeeds/www/index.php on line 120 Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /net1/allfeeds/www/index.php on line 120 Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /net1/allfeeds/www/index.php on line 121

That could affect my earnings! :lol:
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's worth knowing you aren't allow to display oother contextual adverts on the same page as adsense.

So if you have 2 adsense blocks on your page that have other contextual ads as its alternate url, and one of your adsense blocks shows adsense but the other shows your allternate advert you would be breaking google adsense terms.
  • Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am all too aware of the TOS.

I am one of the few that likely read the whole lot :P

But I guess I was too specific in the SEO for my site as generally the only ads google started to show were ads that broke the game rules ( nothing to do with google, but I dont want my site to become a site linked with cheating on the game that I am trying to develop help for).

I am looking at alternatives for the whole site - as well as alternatives that fit in with google TOS.

Ideally it would be general targeted ads towards gameplayers, not specifically towards the game my site is about - as I know just about every advert for the game I play is breaking the game rules... in my case google adsense isn't being very helpful by trying to serve highly specific ads - I would much prefer general game ads that appeal to most of the visitors... as 90%+ of my traffic would not even consider clicking on ad for a cheat for the game since they risk losing their account when caught ... and increasingly they are being caught... so a wider, more general targetting to gamers would be much better suited - and increase the possibility of people actually noticing the ads since most ignore them.
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard conflicting reports as to whether using contextual ads in the Alternate URL field could potentially violate the AdSense ToS - some say it could, and others say that it would only be displayed if Google had no ads to display. I decided to go to the source, if for no other reason than my own peace of mind, and I've attached a copy of the correspondence below. Hopefully this will be helpful to others who may be in the same situation. :D

Sam

Quote:
Hello Sam,

Thanks for your question.

Under normal circumstances, your ad units should never show paid Google
ads in one unit and revert to the alternate URL in another unit on the
same page. Should this ever occur, you can rest assured that you would not
be violating AdSense terms.

For additional questions, we encourage you to visit the AdSense Help
Center (http://www.google.com/adsense_help), our complete resource center
for all AdSense topics. Alternatively, feel free to post your question on
the forum just for AdSense publishers: the AdSense Help Group
(http://groups.google.com/group/adsense-help).

Sincerely,

Ben
The Google AdSense Team

----------------
To access the Google AdSense home page or to log in to your account,
please visit: https://www.google.com/adsense

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Subject: Other
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 02:04:47 -0000

Hi All,

I have some questions regarding the Alternate URL in the AdSense code. I'm
using a program from a third party, Allfeeds.com (http://publisher.allfeeds.com), called 'Google
Backfill'. This program provides a URL for use as the Alternate URL in my
AdSense code, and when invoked, it serves an Allfeeds contextual ad
formatted similarly to that of my AdSense code.

Here are my questions:

1. If I use more than one block of AdSense on a given page, is it possible
that both AdSense and my Alternate URL would be displayed simultaneously?

2. If yes, would this be a violation of the AdSense ToS?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. :-)

Sam
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Under normal circumstances, your ad units should never show paid Google ads in one unit and revert to the alternate URL in another unit on the same page.

I get that all the time on my sites. So i dont know what "normal circumstances" are.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts