Another Pagerank question

• James95
  • Born
  • Born
  • James95

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im new to all of this so forgive the basicness of this question.
Is pagerank constantly changing in regards to the serps. If google picks up some links will my site immediately improve in the serps or will there be no improvement until they update PR.
TIA
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome James ...

Page Rank is simply a calculation reflecting the number and quality of links to your site. Links (and PR) is updated by Google more or less on a monthly basis (4-6 weeks).

Having a high PR does not guarantee placement in search results. It is only one of the 100+ factors that Google uses to determine the relevance of your site to any given search.

Try a search on http://www.webmasterbrain.com/prog and you will see. PR does not guarantee positioning.
  • discountdomains
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • discountdomains
  • Loc: Telford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

True PR is updated everyday so the answer to questions is yes. The Toolbar PR only updates every 4 weeks to a month.

In my experience its more important to focus on the theme of the page and using your keywords in anchor text e.g Domain Name Registration

than to worry about PR in its own right.

Clare
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
True PR is updated everyday

This is not very likely ... PR can only be calculated from a snap shot of the web at any given time. You cannot calculate PR for a page until you have calculated the PR for every incoming link. If there are any back links on the page it can increase the PR of the incoming link ... so they have to be calculated again.

That is why back links and PR lag behind.

Some of the other 100+ factors relating to content are updated each time your site is crawled, and of course each time your competition is crawled.
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: On a mountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtchar wrote:
Quote:
True PR is updated everyday

This is not very likely ... PR can only be calculated from a snap shot of the web at any given time. You cannot calculate PR for a page until you have calculated the PR for every incoming link. If there are any back links on the page it can increase the PR of the incoming link ... so they have to be calculated again.

Not quite true. True PageRank, not what you see in the toolbar, is simply an equation based purely on your links in and out. True PR is calculated a lot more than the public toolbar PR is, however I do not think its daily for 5 billion pages.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Not quite true.
Where???

Excerpt from: http://www.iprcom.com/papers/pagerank/
... The PR of each page depends on the PR of the pages pointing to it. But we won’t know what PR those pages have until the pages pointing to them have their PR calculated and so on… And when you consider that page links can form circles it seems impossible to do this calculation!

... So all we need to do is remember each value we calculate and repeat the calculations lots of times until the numbers stop changing much.

I agree what is on the toolbar is not 'true PR', but I still maintain that PR is only calculated every 4-6 weeks from a snap shot. :!:
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtchar wrote:
Quote:
Not quite true.
Where???

I prefer to read from the king of pagerank: http://www.webworkshop.net

I would post the exact URL to the pagerank papers, but the sites down at the moment. I know he has been having routing issues.

To my way of thinking, the article you are reading is about toolbar PR or the guy who wrote it is just not very knowledgeable about directory PR.

The daily (maybe) calculations from incoming to my knowledge would be done using the directory PR they have stored for every URL in their database. This could easily be done in a matter of a few days, even taking into account the several iterations it would take to re-evaluate each URL. You forget that the PR algo has several iterations, which allow it to see the big picture, where the article you pasted is relying on it having one iteration.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think both sites are saying the same thing?

But if you prefer this document ...
Quote:
Each iteration of the calculation is done on the entire network and not on individual websites.

Quote:
The problem is overcome by repeating the calculations many times. Each time produces slightly more accurate values. In fact, total accuracy can never be achieved because the calculations are always based on inaccurate values. 40 to 50 iterations are sufficient to reach a point where any further iterations wouldn't produce enough of a change to the values to matter. This is precisiely what Google does at each update, and it's the reason why the updates take so long.

No way it is done DAILY :lol:
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtchar wrote:
No way it is done DAILY :lol:

I said the same thing above, but it is possible easily enough to do it every 3-4 days.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting articles from both sites though..
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

nuclei --- I think we are both saying the same thing. :)

It's discountdomains that seems to be in error ... :lol:

Quote:
True PR is updated everyday so the answer to questions is yes.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts