Basics of SEO

• sishomarue
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sishomarue

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

If I have a website, and I want to promote it for search with several keywords, how exactly should I go about doing this? I want my site to atleast be on the first page of results. I'm not wanting to be on the front page of a very broad keyword, in fact it is very specific, but my site is probably not optimised to be the best it can be.

So what do other ozzu members have as advice to get my site to the front page. A list would be fantastic.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bin
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • bin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

You need to start with keyword research. Once the keywrods are finalised, give unique Title and META tags to each page of the site. You can also do directory submission, article submissions, etc. for instant backlinks.

Hope this helps....All the best..
  • grishamist
  • Student
  • Student
  • grishamist

Post 3+ Months Ago

On-page optimization is your starting point. Meta tags, good contents to your site and keyword research and analysis.
  • JeffNetSite
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • JeffNetSite

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will say that you will be going through a lot of work and patience before you can rank well in specific keyword that you like. You need first ofcourse keyword research then do an on page optimization like they said it involves some META tags, and after done with on page then go to off page and that will need a lot of hardwork because your doing a link building stuff.
  • indiecorporate
  • Born
  • Born
  • indiecorporate
  • Loc: Indonesia

Post 3+ Months Ago

link building is time comsumed
  • sishomarue
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sishomarue

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent info everyone, does any one else have anything to add. Thanks.
  • potchie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • potchie

Post 3+ Months Ago

here some tips for Keyword research

1. Use Misspellings and Typos

Online searches sometimes misspell words and phrases they are looking for. Use these common misspellings to your advantage. Misspell keywords cost considerably less and they are less competitive too.

To come up with common misspell words and phrases you can

* Think about common typing mistakes such as wrong letter order (distinguish distingiush), double typing (think, thhink),common omissions (burger, burge), wrong replacement (yahoo, yahpp)
* Think of the commonly misspellings such as (calendar, calender), (commitment, committment), (barbecue, barbeque), (separate, seperate)
* Use the typo generation by Searchspell at http://www.searchspell.com/typo
* Ask your friends or family members about common misspelling that’s related to your niche.

If you think using misspell keywords is a waste of time, and bring in no traffic then check out this page from Google. The data shows some of the misspellings detected by their spelling correction system for the query “Britney spears”. This applies to other search terms too so you can see how you can profit from it.

Apparently, there’s a lot of people searching for “ Brittany spears”.

2. Identify and Use Common Abbreviations and Acronyms

Understanding and using this tip can lead to the discovery of new keywords which may be harder to identify using the traditional keyword research tools.

Abbreviations:

Dec vs. December
1st Place Software vs. First Place Software
Windows XP vs. WinXP

Acronyms Examples:

PDA vs Personal Digital Assistance
F1 vs. Formula One
PC vs. Personal Computer

Use the free online tool such as AbbreviationZ at http://www.abbreviations.com/ to find common abbreviations and acronyms related to your niche.

3. Use Various Verb

Different searchers express themselves differently so use different variations of verbs.

For Example:

Learn to type
Learning to type
Learn typing
Learning typing

4. Use Plural vs. Singular

Using both plural and singular version of your keywords can easily double the number of keywords in your list. For example, consider using

Computer book
Computers book
Computer books
Computers books

When using this technique, keep in mind that while Google AdWords distinguishes between plural and singular keywords, Yahoo Search Marketing doesn’t. However when it comes to organic search, almost all the major search engines distinguish between the plural and singular forms.

5. Use Separated, Hyphenated and Merged Keywords

Some keyword can either be merged or separated by a hyphen or space. If you do not use its variations, you might be missing out on half the searchers.

Email, e-mail, e mail
Selfhelp, self-help, selp help
Payperclick, pay-per-click, pay per click

6. Use Geographical Location

Some searchers add a location to their keyword search to find local results. Even if what you sell works all over the country or world, people are still interested on using a local provider or at least a company that recognizes their town or state.

For examples:

Kota Kinabalu ford escape dealers
Nintendo Wii Florida
New York law firms

This tip allows you to expand your keyword list exponentially. If you are selling products in the US , you may want have a look at the Census Bureau’s list of cities. It features 25,000 us cities and town that you can combine with your keywords.

Click here for instructions on using the file.

7. Use Variations of US and UK spellings

Searchers may use the US or UK spelling variation. Use both variations in your keyword list. Example

Color pencil, colour pencil
Cheque – check
Anti ageing – anti aging

8. Use Adjectives

Consider using adjectives in addition to your main keywords. Many people use adjectives when searching such as:

Free
Best
Cheap
Amazing
Beautiful
Quality
New

9. Use Domain Names

Many searchers often include domain names in their search. So be sure to include the relevant domain names and all their variations in your keyword list. However be caution when using this tip as a domain name can be considered a trademark. Example

http://www.usedcar.com
usedcar.com
  • pntglobal
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • pntglobal

Post 3+ Months Ago

sishomarue wrote:
Hello,

If I have a website, and I want to promote it for search with several keywords, how exactly should I go about doing this? I want my site to atleast be on the first page of results. I'm not wanting to be on the front page of a very broad keyword, in fact it is very specific, but my site is probably not optimised to be the best it can be.

So what do other ozzu members have as advice to get my site to the front page. A list would be fantastic.

Here are few things you need to work on that before going to start seo for your website
1. Selecting the correct keywords

2. Title Tag
a. 50-80 characters long
b. Should contain 1 – 2 main keywords

3. Copywriting
a. Each page should contain 200 words
b. Fresh
c. Unique
d. Relevant
e. Visible

4. Meta Description Tag
a. Should be 250 characters long

5. Meta Keyword Tag
a. Should be 1024 characters long
b. Where to use keywords
i. Title tag
ii. Headings
iii. First paragraph
iv. Anchor link
v. Last Paragraph
vi. Drop down boxes
vii. URLS
viii. Folder and file names
ix. Image Alt
x. Link Title attribute

6. Title tag :
a. 9 words or 60 characters
b. Each page should have a unique title
c. try to include primary keyword phrase in every title of every page
d. Begin the title of your home page with your primary keyword phrase, followed by your best secondary keyword phrases
e. Use more specific variations to your primary keyword phrase on your specific product, service or content pages
f. If you must include your company name, put it at the end of the title
g. Use the best form, plural or singular, for your keywords
h. Don’t over do it, don’t repeat
i. Title tag must be first element in the <Head>

7. Alt Tags
8. Heading Tags
9. Do Optimize PDF and Word files
10. Keep page size small
11. Reduce image size (Max. 72 ppi)
12. Use CSS
13. Inset DOC Type tag
14. Write clean html code
  • Rajesh8
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rajesh8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Offpage optimization carries extra weigtage than on page optimization.
  • sishomarue
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sishomarue

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much potchie and pntglobal for your extended replies. I really appreciate both of your contributions. Thanks again everyone, I will have to put this new found knowledge to use now. :)
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try to target keywords that high search volume but less competition.
Check my post in this blog //nope, don't think so. URL removed
  • jimmy03
  • Born
  • Born
  • jimmy03

Post 3+ Months Ago

can any body suggest me what should i do to improve ranking of my website.
please take a look at my sit.
//removed
  • heihei
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • heihei

Post 3+ Months Ago

Potchie, you are really great. I always learn on your advices. Gee thanks :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmao. does any of you that replied to this thread even really have a clue what you are talking about?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I die a little inside every time I run through these boards. I feel bad for the few members who actually post legitimate questions and receive nothing but pages of this crap.
  • jashmin
  • jashmin
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the top Ranking in SRPs, Link popularity and content are the main factor. You should do strong onpage optimization and offpage also.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what? I don't think they even look at any replies to these topics, or even read the original posts for that matter. They just see the title and post some piece of regurgitated nonsense with some related buzzword in it.
  • zero_digit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You must know first the basic SEO the on and off page factor:

on page factor

- on page tackles the html tags like meta's , title, headers(h1,h2....), bold and many more....for reference of basic html tags try this:http://www.w3schools.com/

- this helps your page to be crawled by "spiders", they will get all information on your site to determine the "niche" of your site. This helps SE(Search Engine) in factoring on which sites get high rankings.

- here are some on -page SEO factors:

a.Keyword Density
b.Title tags
c.Words on content
d.meta tags
e.Alt tags(for images)
f.Heading tags

off page factor

- off page tackles on "link building" your page, it deals different submission and other factors.It gives your site "back links", "traffic" and SE rankings.

- this where you use your potential "keywords", it helps your site sufficiently.

- Here are some Link building submission:

a.Directory Submission
b.Social Bookmarkings
c.Forums (using signature)
d.Article submission
e.Press Release submission
f.Blog making/comments and submission

hope this help, for SEO terminology try this:

a.http://www.seomoz.org/blog/smwc-and-...ial-seo-jargon
b.http://www.seoglossary.com/

And also use Firefox browser, it is effective for SEO, try to have this basic add ons for Firefox:

a.seopen
b.search status
c.web developer
d.informenter

link:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

For traffic monitoring try this:

a.Google analytics -http://www.google.com/analytics/
b.Stat counter - http://www.statcounter.com/

--------------------

Good luck :P
  • Rajesh8
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rajesh8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basics Of Seo:

Onpage:
1.URL optimization:
Hyphens in URL instead of using underscore.
2.Title:
6 to 7 Keywords in the title
3.content:
250 to 300 words minimum and doing keywords bold, Italics

Offpage:
1.Inbound links
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for proving my point, rajesh.
  • Greatone
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Greatone

Post 3+ Months Ago

hhmmm reading, comparing methods and experimenting is the answer I think. you may also check this google factors if it may help. http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors#2

good luck!
  • adamjohn
  • Born
  • Born
  • adamjohn

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
lmao. does any of you that replied to this thread even really have a clue what you are talking about?

Hi ATNO/TW
Yes we know, the sishomarue wants to promote his site and asking for keywords instruction.
It is little hard to generate much traffic to your site. As other members said, It takes some time to generate traffic on your site. It depends very much that does your site fulfills the SEO requirements. All the site contents must be SEO friendly. Link buying is also a good idea and there is no any unethical thing. You should start forum and blog posting etc.

John
  • StarBucks
  • Student
  • Student
  • StarBucks

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks potchie for the worderful and informative post!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts