I'm being spidered but not all pages being indexed - weird!

• George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All,

Thought I’d post a thread seeking assistance into some of the reasons why my site – http://www.trashandtreasure.net – isn’t totally indexed by Google. Google should be showing around 600 indexed pages (around 40 static and 560 with dynamic title and meta tags) but shows only around 89 or 200 (depending on which server).

Some background info:
- Site has been up and running since Oct 2003, so it has a good history. Page Ranking = 3. I have established hundreds of incoming links (i.e. backlinks).

- Site was updated (major changes both functionally and aesthetically) about 5 weeks ago (1 Sept 2006). Prior to the update, Google showed around 200 indexed pages (which was pretty much on the money). But after the changes, that number should have increased to around 600.

- The template for the “new” site was http://www.egaragesales.com.au, but intensive changes were made so the two sites wouldn’t seem the same to Google…I updated everything from title, meta, keywords, page content and even back-end directory structure….so although they might look the same, they are very different.

- If you do cache:www.trashandtreasure.net/index.asp (existing page but different design), Google shows the correct page, but if you do say cache:www.trashandtreasure.net/garage_sale_listings.asp (a new page) Google can’t find it.

It seems as if Google only sees the pages that relate to my old structure....indeed, most of the pages that are indexed don’t exist anymore…..but this is confusing as Google shows the new version of index.asp….so I now that my site has been spidered – but why it hasn’t spidered and indexed the entire site is what’s bothering me.

Anyone?

Regards
George
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the changes you made were also changes to URLs and page names it will just take time before google reindex all of your pages again.
  • Fergie
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

My blog pages got indexed right away.
I don't understand.
  • Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi George

Non-unique page titles is at least part of your problem.

If you do a [url]site:www.trashandtreasure.net[/url] in Google you will see that most of the pages have the same title. Every page should have a unique title relavant to that page. If you don't think your pages are sufficiently different from each other to warrant a unique title, then why should Google think they're unique?

Aside from that, when the pages appear in the SERPs, if you don't have unique page titles then how are you going to appeal to potential customers searching for different things?

So you have to find some appropriate variables to put in your page titles and stuff them with relevant info for each page.

If you are suffering from Google holding aged information about your site then you can go to
http://services.google.com:8882/urlconsole/controller?cmd=reload&lastcmd=login to purge it.
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Byzantium,

Mate, that’s just the thing , the results (i.e pages) that come up when you do site:www.trashandtreasure.net don’t even exist anymore, except for the homepage (i.e. http://www.trashandtreasure.net/index.asp)...... and they haven’t been in existence for at least 2 months now….like I said, its been two months since I redesigned my site and Google is still showing the old pages….its unbelievable!

As for unique page titles, I totally understand this concept, that’s why in the aforementioned redesign I implemented dynamic title tags for each listed garage/yard sale and unique page titles for all other static pages…so this is not an issue…..but of course, you won’t realise this using site:www.trasandtreasure.net because Google is showing old, obsolete and non-existent results….oh man, this is just B.S. and totally frustrating….

I’m in dire need of help here

Regards
George
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bump.....looking for some help here guys...

Byzantium,
If I purge my URL from google using the link you provided, if this change permanent or will Google re-index my site once again?

George

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts