Business.com being Banned Article

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was an article out last week about Business.com being banned from Google. Business.com has now fixed the problem, but they were banned for a short time.

http://www.webpronews.com/insiderreport ... anned.html

I was looking into a new client of mine because they were not getting their inner pages spidered and were not gaining PR. We found that they were using a bad type of redirect that was actually built into their software. This redirect was the same that was used on Business.com.

The redirect was:
HTTP/1.1·302·Object·Moved redirect

This maybe something you want to look into if you having problems getting some of your pages spidered.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

it was quite funny when business.com lost their PR - they didn't half panic !! lol.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh this article. lol.
business.com will recover from their PR0 in no time.
no worries! :-)
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

they have it back already :P lol
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow tthats fast. :-)

offtopic- who the hell is gary price anyway? I am reading this...
http://www.pandia.com/post/020-2.html
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.resourceshelf.com - he runs this site - quite a respected name, has written a lot of good articles and captured some good interviews with "names" from the search engines. I think his BIO is on that site as well.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Beaten to the punch...damn graduates...

:D
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol - sorry i actually speak to him now and again. Thats the only reason i knew :P
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is very interesting ... and pretty relevant to me at this time. :lol:

A client requested a site, with a redirect based on user IP (location sensitive web page).

The first stage is complete ... but not sure if it is accurate.

http://www.mrktcity.com/country/testip.pl

Is there a safe redirect for Windows servers?
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
http://www.resourceshelf.com - he runs this site - quite a respected name, has written a lot of good articles and captured some good interviews with "names" from the search engines. I think his BIO is on that site as well.

thanks for the feedback. a greenhorn like me wouldnt have heard about him anyways. lets keep it that way. lol.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtchar wrote:
A client requested a site, with a redirect based on user IP (location sensitive web page).

I read that this type of redirect can be mistaken for cloaking...would the content be altered based on where the user is comming from or would this just be for directing them to a server in their country. Personally I think it's a great idea, but if there is an automated system for detecting cloaking this could get picked up. Google does the same thing so I don't think they should have a problem with it as long as the content is similar for every user.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
would the content be altered based on where the user is comming from or would this just be for directing them to a server in their country

This is not a mirror type project.

Content would be localized depending on country of origin. So yes the pages would need to be different.

BTW - Did the link correctly identify your country?
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes...it picked up my IP and told me was in the US....

I read something on a similar topic about people who were using folder structures for different languages and the suggestion was made to use different domain extentsions for each country...I'll try to dig out the article...it also talked about subdomains and redirecting for different countries...but I wasn't paying attention :cry:

As far as being picked up as a cloaker I would think if you allowed your pages to be cached this would eliminate any suspicion...I feel that google will start using a unidentified bot to compare what users and spiders are getting from sites that don't allow pages to be cached...seems link the only sensible way to do it.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Is there a safe redirect for Windows servers?" Do it server side using asp

Something like this might work: assumes you have read the location into lstr_country as a string

Select Case lstr_country
Case "US"
Response.Redirect("USpage.asp")
Case "England"
Response.Redirect("Englandpage.asp")
Case Else
Response.Redirect("someotherpage.asp")
End Select

This is processed on the server so no one can see it and it should happen quickly.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you including your code in every page or will you have a dll or exe running in memory to handle requests?
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Are you including your code in every page or will you have a dll or exe running in memory to handle requests?

I have been looking at this ... but the most transparent way is to simply make the default document a script. The script would return the home page HTML for the correct country (or default to head office for unsupported countries).

Links, ads and coupons could then be localized by country.

Global functions like corporate databases and global ads would be linked to all pages.

Sounds pretty safe to me .... I hope. :D
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds good to me too ;)

How will it handle unidentified countries....I see a bunch of those in my stats where the ip can't be pinned to a country...I assume english...or are all the page in english and your just customizing products/info for location.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would assume unidentified IP or unsupported countries would simply default to US corporate site.

The service provider claims 93%(free) or 97%(paid) accuracy of the IP database, and it is updated regularly.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts