Content drives Google

• thisisull
  • thisisull
  • Loc: Hull England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've worked with my partner (Cilla) like a dog to get 400+ pages of content together; it took about 6 months, unpaid. I tried putting ads in with TradeDoubler and Commission Junction using content to drive the ads, but its more work and doesn’t really pay at all, it has not yet anyway. Joining Adsense, only today I see some great context adverts i.e a page about driving gives you driving school ads and so on. The best thing is I don't have to sort the ads out at all. And with any luck may make a buck back.
http://www.thisisull.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

My results with Commission Junction, Websponsors, and one of those donate buttons from PayPal were so disappointing that I almost abandoned my site because it wasn't worth the time I was spending on it. Adsense terms of service preclude talking about revenue earned from the program, but the dynamic, contextual, and international nature of the ads pretty much guarantees better performance than the older banners and text ads.
  • thisisull
  • thisisull

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps more of us should know that it is almost a waste of time I agree totally.
I'm pleased with what content Adsense is generating so far, and thanks for the reply.
  • pompei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pompei

Post 3+ Months Ago

thisisull,

took a look at your site and it looks like a great resource! Well done! Unfortunately, its not worth much to many people who aren't in Hull, but I figure you could get decent sponsoring from the local shops/restaurants/etc. for advertising if you haven't already.
  • thisisull
  • thisisull

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's very kind of you to look and comment for us, thanks.
Your right about it being too local to Hull, money is tight here and sponsorship or advertising locally is tougher than getting blood out of a stone. I know as I tried maybe 100 stores, but they are all half asleep.
So, we got http://www.thisistheworld.com and are preparing for another big push of work to try and get global contributors for local news that is. I think a better perspective than the usual top bad news stories the media always present (and they all have the same reports!).
Eitherway it takes a lot of self belief to carry on with all this.
Thanks again.
thisisull.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Affiliate sites (TD, CJ, DGM2, AF) are NOT suitable for local sites and you are indeed better off talking to local shop owners for adverts.

However affiliate sites do have a place for heavy traffic professional websites and we are talking about 3000UV or more a day.

Also a tip for your site is to use a 468x60 banner on the top, this will do much more than you smaller banners that are also bellow the fold !!! (bellow the fold means that on 800x600 you cant see the banner and as you are reading it and scrolling down the user will be too engrossed in the literature by then to ever notice the banner).

Typically in my experience your looking at about £30 a month from a 468x60 banner for every 1500uv a day you get - a typical site would be the DatingDirect affilate from TD.
  • thisisull
  • thisisull

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your right about the Affiliate sites. Even though we do average about 12K UV on the whole 400 pages that is, it comes from over 50 countries, mainly the UK but I'm still not sure who to target.
We've actually been a bit shy placing the ads, and didn't want to harass people in the top half, were probably wrong there too.
Still no money in 2 days from Adsense though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts