No DMOZ

• Datagg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Datagg
  • Loc: AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive been trying to get into the DMOZ directory for like 7 months now. Still nothing. I am going to the right directories, doing all the requirements.

What do you think may be happening?

Thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may ask editors there for you site status, visit http://resource-zone.com/forum to post your request

kashyap
  • Shawn
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shawn

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just submit and forget about it. The bulk of the submissions that some editors add are actually not from the que at all, but rather sites they found on their own.
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remember - a watched kettle never boils. That's how i like to think about DMOZ submissions.
  • Tim Otool
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Tim Otool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe there is no editor in that category.

Or you might have a Mickey Mouse editor, Beavis and Butthead editor, a slacker, a loser...

I check my DMOZ list twice a month.
When somebody submit a web site, I will deal with it right away.

Some people are slackers. and any one of them can become your editor.

ALSO.
MAYBE. Your web site has something illegal, that your site had been deleted.
There are number of possibilities.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take a look at the bottom of the cat you submitted your site to and see when the last time it was updated and track it. If the cat hasn't been updated in a year, you'll probably going to continue to wait. If it was updated yesterday and you see a trend that it is updated every week, something was probably wrong with your submission.

As far as editors adding sites, I am the editor of a few different cats and usually do not start adding sites I find until I review all the sites in que.

I wouldn't submit and forget as DMOZ says though. You could do that, ask about your site 6 months later, and find out that the first week you submitted your site, you made a submission error and it was deleted.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I submitted my latest site on 12/31/04

http://www.streetdefender.com

to this category ... :wink:

http://dmoz.org/Shopping/Home_and_Garden/Emergency_Supplies/Personal_Defense/

This category has no editor and was Last update: 23:56 PT, Wednesday, November 10, 2004.

Be sure and get updates from the forum at http://resource-zone.com as often as allowed. The last time I checked the rules you could ask about the status of your request, 30 days after submission, and then each six months after that.
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Word of warning - do not re-submit your site thinking it will receive preference or get you listed quicker.

Re-submitting actually over-writes your initial timestamp submission and will move you back in the queue.

Btw, DMOZ submission is frustratingly (and unacceptably) slow and given way too much credence as an influential directory.

Hey Rtchar - nice site and interesting product.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

George_Gambino ... thank you for taking a look at my site.

I know not to resubmit ... that is a very BAD THING.

Quote:
DMOZ submission is frustratingly (and unacceptably) slow and given way too much credence as an influential directory.

I agree it is slow ... more of us should volunteer to become editors. I am always too busy to commit my own time ... but I like complaining too. :lol:

On the other hand DMOZ is very influential and well worth the effort to get listed. It helps get your site on hundreds of directories that use their feed ... including Google Directory.

They also have a decent page rank that can link to your site.

I just wish more people would VOLUNTEER ....
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk wrote:
Take a look at the bottom of the cat you submitted your site to and see when the last time it was updated and track it. If the cat hasn't been updated in a year, you'll probably going to continue to wait. If it was updated yesterday and you see a trend that it is updated every week, something was probably wrong with your submission.

As far as editors adding sites, I am the editor of a few different cats and usually do not start adding sites I find until I review all the sites in que.

I wouldn't submit and forget as DMOZ says though. You could do that, ask about your site 6 months later, and find out that the first week you submitted your site, you made a submission error and it was deleted.

So in other words since I submitted my site in December and the last time the category was updated was May (which it actually is) I should not expect that there is an editor paying much attention to the category?) Then we have the advice offered about not resubmitting or else it sets you back in the cue.

I suppose the next thought that crosses the mind is that maybe they do need more volunteers.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

From DMOZ site FAQ ...

Quote:
How long should I wait before I resubmit?

The simple answer is "forever".
The ODP submission guidelines used to say to do it every month, but this has been rendered unnecessary by changes in how the ODP works. Once a submission has been received, it will never go away. It will sit in that category, awaiting review. Submissions do not expire.

So the preferred method is now to suggest the site to the category and wait at least a month. If, after a month, the site has not appeared, then come to Resource Zone and check that the site submission was successful (some do get lost). If an editor tells you to resubmit, then please do. Once an editor has confirmed that the submission is awaiting editorial review, then submitting again will do no good.

In fact, a new submission to the same category overwrites the previous one. Editors have many ways of sorting the pool of unreviewed sites in a category and one of them is by submission date. If this is the case, then a resubmission will show up further down the list and may end up taking longer to get reviewed.

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
vetofunk wrote:

So in other words since I submitted my site in December and the last time the category was updated was May (which it actually is) I should not expect that there is an editor paying much attention to the category?) Then we have the advice offered about not resubmitting or else it sets you back in the cue.

I suppose the next thought that crosses the mind is that maybe they do need more volunteers.

I wouldn't go waiting around for site to be added anytime soon. it is not the recommended thing to do, but you may want to look for another good category to submit to that has actually been updated in the last few months.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I follow you. I've been glancing about looking for that exact thing. Just trying to be sure the content fits the category. Thanks.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I wouldn't go waiting around for site to be added anytime soon. it is not the recommended thing to do, but you may want to look for another good category to submit to that has actually been updated in the last few months.

I did try that once -------------------------

Three months later when the site was reviewed .... I was referred back to the original category .... still waiting. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts