dynamic vs static pageset for Google ?

• CyberChris
  • CyberChris
  • Loc: Vancouver Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,
after 4 months of weekly sitemap updates and some site maintenance, my site was finally indexed by Google. All of a sudden, I was indexed with 13 pages. Then, without any changes to my site, over night I was back down to one page. Only the main domain name. I am wondering if my siteĀ“s dynamic php content is causing the Googlebot trouble. I do have a function available to create a static html set of all my pages. Google actually suggests using a html page set in their webmaster guidelines.
However, I understand it is important to exclude the dynamic pages via robots.txt but I do not want to mess with it too much and accidentally block the bot from indexing me in general. Could anyone give me advise on how to modify robots.txt so it will exclude my dynamic pageset but allow my static html pages ?

The dynamic pages all start like this: http://www.mydomain.com/cart.php
The static pages are all in: http://www.mydomain.com/catalogue.html

Any advise would be appreciated.

PS: Any experience with dynamic vs. static pages and Google indexing would also be appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

static or dynamiic urls don't make any difference. Google has no trouble spidering dynamic pages.

If the site is fairly new it's normal to see changes in how many pages are indexed.
  • brassinserts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • brassinserts

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi From my view Google prefers Static over Dynamic pages
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Static pages are better.

Dynamic pages are okay, if

1. You don't have more than 1 variables in the url
2. Do not have any dynamic session id appended with the urls, like in some forums

Session ids totally throw off search engine bots.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

So static page are not better than dynamic pages...
Only sessions and huge amounts of variables are bad.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps, we should develop a clear definition of "static" pages. Generally, as far as the SEs are concerned if the urls do not have dynamic stuffs in it, the page is static. The page can be .php, .htm, .asp, .do, .meman whatever and you can have hundreds of lines of dynamic codes behind a single page to generate whatever contents you want, it's static. If the url does not have variables then SEs won't know the difference between a manually created .htm page or server side scripting generated php page. After all, you can even parse php from a .htm extension file with little bit of server ini file manipulation.

So static pages are better than dynamic pages when you try to understand what "static" really means from the point of view of search engines.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
So static pages are better than dynamic pages when you try to understand what "static" really means from the point of view of search engines.

People understand "dynamic" to be server side scripts that use variables, And it's not true that these are worse than html pages. It's only the session id that causes problems, and this only causes problems because google will find indenticle pages after following different URLs.

If you were to use sessions in html pages that are parsered as php on the server you would have the same problems.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
People understand "dynamic" to be server side scripts that use variables, And it's not true that these are worse than html pages. It's only the session id that causes problems, and this only causes problems because google will find indenticle pages after following different URLs.

If you were to use sessions in html pages that are parsered as php on the server you would have the same problems.

I guess, you just skipped my whole clarification on what is meant by static and dynamic as far as search engines are concerned.
  • Manish Pandey
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Manish Pandey
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

There has been too much talk about this but still people find it difficult.

Dynamic pages dont make much of a problem if they dont use session ids. If they do use then switch to static one.

Now, for disallowing the bots use

disallow: catalogue.html*$ ---> for a single file
disallow: catalogue-*.html$ ---> for complete catalogue where catalogue- is the prefix of the catalogue.
  • pbonly
  • Born
  • Born
  • pbonly

Post 3+ Months Ago

The war between Static and Dynamic continues. What with the new algos getting better each day, the dynamic stuff seems to carry as much bang for sure. But then what of the new search gigs that join the traffic bandwagon regularly. Surely many might still be primitive yet.

So my way to go is to have things dynamic by all means. Saves so much trouble in maintenance and updates. Specially ecom sites with large products base that keeps changing and getting getting bigger. Follow the standard seo norms - the kind of stuff you will find all over - site map etc.. But alongside, never forget to maintain a static version. Make sure the pages are generated regularly. That's worked best for me. And I will agree with all who say that Static pages help - for their own reasons of- course.
  • debarati
  • debarati
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have read that Dynamic pages are crawled by Search engines but those which has : 1 query string and 2 "ID"

can anyone help me with what is "1 query string and 2 'ID' " ?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts