Getting emotional

• Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

After a long reign on no. 1 spot for my main and very competitive keyword I now find myself in second position.

It's kind of sad :(

Never the less I myself caused the problem because of a linkexchange with the guys, prior in second position. Thought I was a authority site...guess not.

But Google....I asure you this...I will be back :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ouch, drop that link and regain your title!

Never good to be second.......
  • longcall911
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • longcall911
  • Loc: Northern NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why do you think that was the reason? If they were in second place, it would seem that Google found no issue.

Did they move into the first spot? If not, is it possible that another site secured a number of additional links that propelled them into the #1 spot therefore moving everyone down one?
  • Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah they did move into 1. position. It only tool Google 1 day to swap our position.
  • Kevins_Kevlar
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Bc, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Solutions wrote:
Yeah they did move into 1. position. It only tool Google 1 day to swap our position.

1 position is nothing google positions can shift up and down daily upto 150 positions. I know the position of my keywords fluctuate daily up and down 30 spots constantly. Don't see anything special about this you can't secure a number one position unless your links are so much greater than the competition. And remember one PR10 link or PR9 or PR8 and all of a sudden your competion is more relevant.
  • longcall911
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • longcall911
  • Loc: Northern NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, one day after swapping links with the number 2 site, they move from #2 to #1 and you go from #1 to #2?

I would give it a little time. I think we’ve all seen this behavior many times over. It seems that GG often overreacts to a new link. Something similar has happened to me dozens of times.

If I buy a listing in a directory, quite often that directory shows up in SERPs above me within just a few days. After 4 or 5 weeks, it tends to fall, but very slowly. In trying to understand that behavior, all I can say is that it ‘feels’ like my site gave that page a shot of power, temporarily.

So maybe it is good that my site is strong enough to do that. But if so, why I am #47 for that keyphrase? I guess if I understood that, I’d be doing SEO for other people. :-)

Anyway, I’d wait it out for a few weeks before trying anything that might actually hurt your position.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts