Google can now index flash sites!!! *MAJOR NEWS*

• mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

For those of you who do not already know, the all-mighty Google has just gotten even more powerful by being able to index flash.

That is correct, Google can now go in and grab content from .swf and sdk files.

You can read more about it including an interview which explains it in detail.

http://www.sitepronews.com/

This really is a great breakthrough for SEO.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Gandalf
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm, this is great then. However, i think google is smarter then we think. I mean, google indexes everything to which you will link. and by the way for some reason your link is dead. :?
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

the link works for me... its jsut the sitepronews.com homepage... with the article as an indexpage story
  • Gandalf
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

it works for me now too, hm
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

the example flash link has nothing actually indexed by google...

actual flash
google's view

... id appreciate any results of actually indexed flash if anybody can find it ;)
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool. very nice to know when making flash sites.

what next, video stream indexing ;) ;o
  • Estroncio
  • Estroncio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a site with 3 swf Google catch flash , but text inside no ...links inside no...

Try a flash PR10 site nasa.gov

Somebody can search for a text inside it in Google ??

I try and ..... zero
I try use sdk tool to read inside, read well
But until now , nothing ,zero a big zero for google flash crawler
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

phpservers wrote:
the example flash link has nothing actually indexed by google...

actual flash
google's view

... id appreciate any results of actually indexed flash if anybody can find it ;)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

over 5000 examples, all of swfs, indexed by google, with the word hello in them (including tales of the blode - yay)
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google has been caching flash files for over a year and has been spidering them for months.
you can get programs that take apart flash files so you can see what google sees.
  • Estroncio
  • Estroncio

Post 3+ Months Ago

:evil: i'm so wrong sorry guys..

Why G don't index my swfs ? size ?
Why G don't index internal links in swf ?

PR to low ?
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi estroncio, can you post a link to your swf?
we can have a look......
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

darksat wrote:
Google has been caching flash files for over a year and has been spidering them for months.
you can get programs that take apart flash files so you can see what google sees.

this is what I know as well, but if google is actually indexing and ranking
based on the content of the flash file, THAT is a breakthrough.
Otherwise, this is old news.
  • Willy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Willy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm still skeptical. I think solid html content rules.
  • ania22
  • ania22
  • Loc: warsaw/poland

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok!! you can get programs that take apart flash files so you can see what google sees.
but where i see this program
  • Estroncio
  • Estroncio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ania22

sitepronews.com SEPT. 1, ISSUE #531
Macromedia has a Flash Search Engine SDK that will give us just what we need. The SDK (Software Development Kit) includes an application named 'swf2html'. Swf2html extracts text and links from a Macromedia Flash .SWF file, and returns the data to stdout or as an HTML document. Swf2html is provided as a compiled application and as a static library for linked library implementation. For complete functionality, see the file Readme.htm included in the SDK.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flas ... ch_engine/

My swf has 250K i think G don't crawl files too large (101K Max)
I only put my URL in related sites (automotive) sorry.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice link rtm223 ... Definite proof that Google indexes Flash files.

I find it interesting there is no cached link on those pages, and I have yet to see a Flash backlink.

More research is needed ... maybe they consume too many resources to get the full treatment?
  • temi7
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is great news, I knew soon or late search engines will start indexing flash sites properly.
Temi
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is pointless for a large flash site. Until flash developers make use of the browser back button and have a separate flash page per page... but then what’s the point its better to have flash embedded onto HTML - HTML text can look sharper and is more usable too.

I don’t want to be served up a large flash site and enter via the homepage needing to then find a needle in a haystack.

Don’t think me a buffoon I have actually worked on commercial 100% flash content driven by a database websites and both of them had to scrapped after a year or two because of many issues.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtchar wrote:
Nice link rtm223 ... Definite proof that Google indexes Flash files.

I find it interesting there is no cached link on those pages, and I have yet to see a Flash backlink.

More research is needed ... maybe they consume too many resources to get the full treatment?

That sounds right to me. Looks like google is stripping text from the swf, and caching that. Mostly because that is all they need for rankings.

Something that just occured to me RE those people that can't get their flash text cached. At least some of the pages that are in the results page I posted are linked using a normal <a> tag (I happen to know that rathergood.com does and the e-card type ones most likelly do as well. I'm not sure how to check if all/most of them are though). Google finds it more difficult to index html pages embedded in another html page (frames), so would it not make sense that a .swf embedded in a html would be a similar barrier?

Of course this is merely speculation so I'd like to get other people's thoughts.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
Google finds it more difficult to index html pages embedded in another html page (frames), so would it not make sense that a .swf embedded in a html would be a similar barrier?

Google can index frames and it has been doing so for a long time now however just like frames I still think flash in unusable for content... its a step forward for sure but Google are going to need to set some guidelines such as fonts should not be converted into paths, how deap does it index etc...
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Google finds it more difficult to index html pages embedded in another html page (frames)

This is not the same problem .... frames had the problem of multiple documents (with different docIDs) appearing on the same page. In effect one page with multiple addresses.

Flash files are more like graphic files ... content on a page ... and do not present the same kind of barrier.

The problem is probably due to size, and the resources needed to parse info from these files. You have to remember Google tries to index billions of pages every 24 hours. How much time can they waste downloading one flash file (200k ... 300k ... 500k), hoping to get two or three words. :lol:
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtchar wrote:
This is not the same problem .... frames had the problem of multiple documents (with different docIDs) appearing on the same page. In effect one page with multiple addresses.

That explains a lot...PR would be messed up if it were 3 or so doc id's pointing to the same address.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
PR would be messed up if it were 3 or so doc id's pointing to the same address

Or worse yet ... one docID pointing to three addresses. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts