Google Chrome (Google Browser)

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

In a rather interesting blog post by Philipp Lenssen at Google Blogoscoped, there's details of what's supposed to be an open source web browser maintained by Google.

As usual with browsers and "new" features, some of the things touted are already happening in Opera, such as tabs being above the address bar & a speed dial type of home page.

One of the most interesting things (at least to me) Philipp mentions is a new V8 Javascript Engine, supposedly built from scratch.

Quote:
The browser will include a JavaScript Virtual Machine called V8, built from scratch by a team in Denmark, and open-sourced as well so other browsers could include it. One aim of V8 was to speed up JavaScript performance in the browser, as it’s such an important component on the web today. Google also say they’re using a “multi-process design” which they say means “a bit more memory up front” but over time also “less memory bloat.” When web pages or plug-ins do use a lot of memory, you can spot them in Chrome’s task manager, “placing blame where blame belongs.”

It sounds a little Java'y with the talk of memory up front and virtual machine, which is a little scary though.

There's a pointer to the Google domain http://www.google.com/chrome but as Philipp mentions in his post, there doesn't appear to be anything there, yet.
  • StarBucks
  • Student
  • Student
  • StarBucks

Post 3+ Months Ago

A little bit scary, we can breathe for now, well I wish google can update us about its progress, for sure we will be surprise if this is suddenly been implemented.
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant wait to try this one out. Just to see what Google thinks should be in a browser.And how they do it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's their plot to rule to world :shock:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's interesting that Googles normal 404 error page looks something like this,

Attachments:
google-404.png

Normal Google 404 Error page.

However if you go to http://www.google.com/chrome which is the supposed URL the project will be later on, you get a very simple 404 response.

Code: [ Select ]
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Not Found</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000">
<H1>Not Found</H1>
<H2>Error 404</H2>
</BODY>
</HTML>
  1. <HTML>
  2. <HEAD>
  3. <TITLE>Not Found</TITLE>
  4. </HEAD>
  5. <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000">
  6. <H1>Not Found</H1>
  7. <H2>Error 404</H2>
  8. </BODY>
  9. </HTML>

I think it's safe to say Google definitely anticipated a lot of people looking at that address.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it going to be "add supported"?

I don't think anybody would enjoy that?

But I can't badmouth google, I just got a Grant through them so I'd be happy to use it. lol
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I assume the big impetus for release is to get early buy in for Android. On a side note the beta is supposed to be available tomorrow so we can all give it a try, but I wouldn't expect anything ground breaking since its based on webkit (AKA just a reskinned safari).
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my first post using Chrome. I love it so far. It is so much faster than IE and FF from my point of view.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also a first post using Chrome immediately after installation. First impression: Nice, lite, fast.
  • rpeters83
  • Born
  • Born
  • rpeters83

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is my first post on the forum and first post using Chrome.

I must say, I really like it! However, I do see a few features that are in IE8 beta 2, such as the "InCognito"/"InPrivate" features, the new-tab button being on the right side of the tabs, and the darkened font for URL domains.

I wonder which came first?
  • aeri
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Spain

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
This is my first post using Chrome. I love it so far. It is so much faster than IE and FF from my point of view.

The same for me.
My first impression is that Chrome is really fast. For the moment, i really like.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

After using it a bit more, I'm really enjoying it.

Random thoughts.

I was scratching my head at first because Google's own rhetoric called the browser, "more sophisticated". I think they might be referring to how completely simple the browser is.

It's not concerned with gadgets and gizmos and the like, only a simplistic browsing experience.

I find it a little ironic that it's called Chrome when in fact it's so simply laid out, one could consider it chrome-less.

The functionality and tool sets are kept succinct and clear.

The browser window itself gives away no real estate without a good reason.

The built in spell checker and HTML element inspector are nice additions as out of the box components.

I am wondering if this will really take from IE's market share. In the short term, I think more converts will come from FF and Opera.
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm on Google chrome right now and they did not do half bad in fact this is great.
I think i will keep ff2 though i enjoy the bloodfire theme and the way Firefox works suites me very much just because of my browsing style but this is a very good browser.
Loads pages very fast.
  • erikko
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • erikko

Post 3+ Months Ago

what's next? Google ruling the world?
  • x3mario
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • x3mario

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not tried yet this one but looks great.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:

i feel the same way grinch. the browser opens faster as well as loads websites faster. for some reason my personal site takes forEVER to load in FF but chrome is quick as a whip with it.
it also uses less memory than FF which is important to me as i'm on an old pc waiting to get a new psu, mobo, proc & ram -_- so the 900MHz P3 likes it ^_^

interestingly, each time you open a new tab it opens another instance of chrome (O_o) i'm guessing for the 'pull the tab down to have it in its own window' feature
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks really cool ... really lightweight ...and I like what it does with the colouring of urls ...that's really sweet ...
  • Samuraii
  • Student
  • Student
  • Samuraii

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is beta and I'm on my FF3 right now. I'm not sure that that will be better at least I dislike screens with it they have posted
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like it instantly,,the download was tad bit longer than FF but the outcome is much faster. My first post on chrome. Awesome...like R_T said light and effective..

;)
  • pubdomains.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • pubdomains.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apart from the pain that I went through for installation (failed 4 times in 3 hour window - perhaps due to firewall at my end) .. overall very happy with the result.

Very uncluttered look and feel, you just get to see the webpage, wonder where would toolbars come and what all changes have to be made for existing toolbars to be compatible with Chrome.

Noticed a bug as well .. in address bar if you type about:% Chrome crashes (and not just the tab u typed it in.. but the whole browser -- something ecomic said - Chrome is different)

Neways, google takes another small step that shakes the world once more
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it, nice an simple as many of you have said ... a bit bland, but it's nice and uncluttered.

One thing I dislike is there is no support (and no hint of any support) for addons and extensions. I hope they include this in the full release.

Edit: Another thing I don't like is not being able to press the scroll wheel on the mouse down and have that smooth scrolling thing ...
  • swanniebroo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • swanniebroo

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahaha, i was actually going on to google this morning to look up another browser called gecko. and i saw the link to this.

can't wait till and SDK comes out, or people start making themes for it. i like it, because it is sleek, and really quick.
now i just can't wait for Android to come out, if Chrome is anything to go bye.

pubdomains - i typed about:%. Whoa. Google Chrome has crashed. Restart now. (i think the meant to put it in there, have you seen the crazy images they put in google earth?)

man, those google kids are real crazy kids.

PS - i was about to post this on the other chrome thread, but ATNO/TW locked it as i was writing.

EDIT: Just read the post above mine - i am on a laptop, and the touchscroll feature only works downwards, and the only sometimes. really annoyting
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not too bad. Definitely a fast rendering of pages. Already miss the option to open local files, but not all that often I need to do that and I can always drop them in localhost.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Breeze wrote:
One thing I dislike is there is no support (and no hint of any support) for addons and extensions. I hope they include this in the full release.

Chrome is 100% open source so it is going to be up to the community to develop add-ons and themes and all that crazy jazz. It is going to be fun to watch this develop.

I kind of miss the home button and the address bar drop down but I can get used to this.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yet another browser to support... although it seems to not have any crazy CSS problems yet. I've only been to one page that does display probably and the issue isn't a big one.

One thing I really like about chrome is it has a really nice history window and download window.

aaaaahhh oooo Incognito....

Quote:
You've gone incognito. Pages you view in this window won't appear in your browser history or search history, and they won't leave other traces, like cookies, on your computer after you close the incognito window. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be preserved, however.

Going incognito doesn't affect the behavior of other people, servers, or software. Be wary of:

• Websites that collect or share information about you
  • Internet service providers or employers that track the pages you visit
  • Malicious software that tracks your keystrokes in exchange for free smileys
  • Surveillance by secret agents
  • People standing behind you
  • Learn more about incognito browsing.

hahahhaha
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice little browser.

I hope Google does not have something up its sleeve with this project - as a maketing tool it could gather all sorts of useful data for the folks back at Google HQ.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't forget to signup to the newsletter if you're waiting for the Linux version(s).

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/linux.html

Does anyone have a download link for the Windows version handy so I can try it in Wine for the time being ?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.google.com/chrome/
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
I've only been to one page that does display probably and the issue isn't a big one.

You can report sites to Google using Chrome. Click the folder looking icon on the right and select Report Bug or Broken Website... adobe.com doesn't look the same in Chrome as it does in FF.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

Joebert, I don't know if this url is loaded with other stuff, but it points to a windows xp/vista version

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 66 posts