Google crawl a rel="NOFOLLOW" ?

• jayeshpau
  • jayeshpau
  • Loc: U.K.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear Webmasters,

Does Google crawl a rel="NOFOLLOW" tagged link and not give it credit,
or does it just stop at the link and not visit that page unless it's found elsewhere?

please explain about this code, what do you think ?

Thanks
JAY Paul
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JasonStanley
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JasonStanley
  • Loc: London, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, google spiders will not follow these links. Such links can be used to hide parts of your website from search engines. I believe all major search engine spiders do not follow these links.
  • aira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • aira

Post 3+ Months Ago

On my own understanding, a rel=nofollow link will still get crawled by the spiders, but it will be ignored when PR calculation takes place
  • iceforever.diamonds
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

jayeshpau wrote:
Dear Webmasters,

or does it just stop at the link and not visit that page unless it's found elsewhere?

Thanks
JAY Paul

when google encounters rel="NOFOLLOW" taggged link they more or less they already stop at the link and no longer visit that page...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

iceforever.diamonds wrote:

when google encounters rel="NOFOLLOW" taggged link they more or less they already stop at the link and no longer visit that page...

I disagree... the rel="nofollow" is put into a link and when a google spider encounters one it skips that link and continues onward... such as...

Code: [ Select ]
<p>blahblahblah</p>
<a href="somelink.html">Somelink</a>
<p>blahblahblah</p>
<a href="somelink2.html" rel="nofollow">somelink2</a>
<p>blahblahblah</p>
<a href="somelink3.html">Somelink3</a>
  1. <p>blahblahblah</p>
  2. <a href="somelink.html">Somelink</a>
  3. <p>blahblahblah</p>
  4. <a href="somelink2.html" rel="nofollow">somelink2</a>
  5. <p>blahblahblah</p>
  6. <a href="somelink3.html">Somelink3</a>

The google will crawl until it meets the rel="nofollow", skip that link and continue onward so the last link would be indexed as well, but the middle one wouldn't get a visit... or so I believe.

Google Blogspot wrote:
From now on, when Google sees the attribute (rel="nofollow") on hyperlinks, those links won't get any credit when we rank websites in our search results.

I'm too busy to read through the following google blogspot on the issue so someone else can do that for the rest of us :lol: (Or for him/herself).
  • OptimusPrime
  • OptimusPrime

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see a lot of people spending hours and posting comments in big blogs to add their links to the comments and get backward links. But most Wordpress blogs have the nofollow tag. My advice is to look at the source before posting and wasting time. :)
  • scorpionagency
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

OptimusPrime wrote:
I see a lot of people spending hours and posting comments in big blogs to add their links to the comments and get backward links. But most Wordpress blogs have the nofollow tag. My advice is to look at the source before posting and wasting time. :)

Same with OZZU, all the sigs here are NOFOLLOW. No sense in NOT putting a sig though seeing that there is still direct (Click) traffic potential (Same as Blogs).

jayeshpau wrote:
Dear Webmasters,

Thanks
JAY Paul

No, as Bogey already stated Google will spider a site & calculate it for the most accurate SERP's listing (Page by Page). If a link leading to another page has the rel="nofollow" then the algorithm knows to skip the link & proceed with the rest of the page.

JasonStanley wrote:
No, google spiders will not follow these links. Such links can be used to hide parts of your website from search engines. I believe all major search engine spiders do not follow these links.

Mostly correct seeing that the Top three have United in the nofollow efferts (E.G. Google, Yahoo, MSN). Though we shouldn't forget about the other majority of engines used like alltheweb, AltaVista, Etc... That have not re-programmed their algorithms to acknowledge the NoFollow & will still visit & index the page the link points to.
  • potchie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • potchie

Post 3+ Months Ago

no follow- no backlinks credited (i.e. wikipedia external link)
  • whym
  • whym

Post 3+ Months Ago

I disagree with most of you. I've read (somewhere) that Google does follow that link. However, the page does not get credit for the link, so if there is only 1 link, then I guess it would stay out of the search results.

To my knowledge, the Googlebot will follow a link though - but the page won't be credited with that link
  • scorpionagency
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

whym wrote:
I disagree with most of you. I've read (somewhere) that Google does follow that link. However, the page does not get credit for the link, so if there is only 1 link, then I guess it would stay out of the search results.

To my knowledge, the Googlebot will follow a link though - but the page won't be credited with that link

Could you provide a link to a google source to support this claim? I'm sure if it is true google has a page about it somewhere explaining how the NoFollow attribute works.

I've just never seen a description in google that says the link is still followed even though it tells google Not to follow it.

Thanks, your supporting reference would help a great deal.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow#I ... ch_engines
  • scorpionagency
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the link.... Though being human edited I can't souly rely on editable wikipedia entries.

Heres one I found:

Instead of challenging the reader to an argument on No Follow, I thought that for once and for all, the law needs to be laid down as to how search engines treat the no follow attribute in terms of linking and discovery.

What better way to do so than to ask the search engines themselves? So I wrote Google’s Adam Lasnik (Matt’s on vacation), Yahoo’s Director of Search Tim Mayer and the Ask.com Search Team to get the lowdown on No Follow directly from the source.

So, here are the basic No Follow questions and answers, from Google, Ask.com (a surprising response) and Yahoo.

Q. How does your search engine treat the No Follow attribute?

* Google : The Googlebot does not follow that link.
* Yahoo : If we find a link we make it available to our algorithms to find new content, whether it has a ‘no follow’ attribute or not. However, if the ‘no follow’ attribute is present, it means that no attribution is given to the target from the source of the link.
* Ask.com : We have never officially supported No Follow, so your questions don’t apply to our crawler/ranking.

Full source: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/how- ... bute/4801/
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

whym wrote:

You are correct. This is how it works.
  • scorpionagency
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok guys, I guess my last link wasn't credible so here's what MATT CUTTs has to say about it from GOOGLE:

Note: nofollow as a link attribute causes Google to drop those links out
of our link graph. If you have a nofollow link from page A to page B,
we won't crawl via page A's link to discover page B. Note that we may
still find page B via other links around the web, though.

http://groups.google.com/group/Google_W ... a30e8b0de2

Now if Matt Cutts himself doesn't know what he's talking about on this matter, then all his credibility is lost for any other advice he has given. :(

For those of you that don't know who Matt Cutts is, He is the head Software Engineer of webspam at Google.
  • coolslko
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • coolslko
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

jayeshpau wrote:
Dear Webmasters,

Thanks
JAY Paul

Well.........google knows about your all links no matter it is with "no-follow" or not (you can check at webmaster tools) but the important thing is that google does not consider "no-follow" links as backlinks and these links are not have weightage in terms of google.
  • scorpionagency
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

coolslko wrote:
Well.........google knows about your all links no matter it is with "no-follow" or not (you can check at webmaster tools) but the important thing is that google does not consider "no-follow" links as backlinks and these links are not have weightage in terms of google.

Wrong Google does NOT automatically know about all your Links if they are NOFOLLOW, they are dropped from the Algorithmic link graph immediately when a NOFOLLOW is found during spidering a page.

Now if that same page is linked from another site WITHOUT the nofollow, then it Will be indexed from that site Unless you have the Robot.txt or Meta No follow set for the page.

To assume that Google automatically indexes a page listed on Page A with a Nofollow attribute is WRONG, especially after I already posted what Matt Cutts has to say about it, you know, the guy that heads the Google WebSpam Department.

You should read the article in my last post, you might find it interesting...

I wish you luck! :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts