Google Public DNS

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like Google is opening their own public DNS.

Quote:
http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2009/12/introducing-google-public-dns-new-dns.html
Today, as part of our efforts to make the web faster, we are announcing Google Public DNS, a new experimental public DNS resolver.

I'm not exactly sure how this can make the web faster though. :scratchhead:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

PCMag has a good article that gives some clues.

Quote:
From a speed perspective, the Google DNS servers use prefetching, Google said, refreshing the record on a particular network request continuously, asychronously and independently of user requests for a large number of popular domains before the record expires. This allows Google Public DNS to serve many DNS requests in the round trip time it takes a packet to travel to our servers and back, the company claimed.

Google Public DNS was also put into place to prevent the sort of DNS poisoning attacks that were disclosed last year. The system can also prevent so-called DNS "amplification attacks" that attack the DNS server itself, and then use them to route other PCs to attack target sites in an orchestrated distributed denial-of-service attack.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2356618,00.asp
  • webdesignfolkz
  • Born
  • Born
  • webdesignfolkz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speed loading is going to be a new SEO parameter. Is there any relation between Google DNS and optimization for Google search engine?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't think so. Google's public DNS is a service meant to be consumed by you, the end user. It's not going to be related to their internal crawling, indexing, or ranking.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, the semantics of why it works is a bit beyond me, such as if/why it's faster, but I do know that after I switched over to their DNS from my ISPs', I'm able to get all the websites that were blacklisted by my ISP. I'm able to get to torrent sites, for instance; wasn't able to before.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts