Google -- 10 years old!

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google turns 10 years old on Sunday. What an amazing ten years it has been for them.

If you are unfamliar of the history, check out this article on the BBC site. It does amaze me to see how well the company has been run and how clever it has been.

You just need to see how popular this forum on Ozzu is by post and topic count in comparison to some of the others.

Happy Birthday Google!
  • oubliesknofscrof
  • oubliesknofscrof

Post 3+ Months Ago

Their rise has been metioric, a spectacular achievement. In most other markets we might be expecting a similarily spectacular fall soon but Google appears to have no significant competitors. Even MSN seem to shoot themselves in the foot when they make a foray into Google's market.

Is the lack of competition worrying?
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think in a way it is, but i believe if Google slip up and abuse the lack of competition it will allow others to work at their weaker points (which will undoubtedly be more exposed) and take advantage.

Googles image is very important to their current and future success, so i do trust them to provide an honest service that will continue to provide the excellent facilities that they currently have on offer.

Google Chrome is just going to be the start of yet another amazing adventure for the company which will no doubt reinvent the way we approach the web. The website industry is entering a very exciting phase!
  • oubliesknofscrof
  • oubliesknofscrof

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mention Google image in particular. How popular do you reckon it is?

One possible reason for Google's success is its combination of simplicity and technical complexity. The simplicity comes from the Google home page. No ads, no news, just a box to enter a search query. Compare that with the Yahoo home page which is jam packed with news, ads, weather etc. It tries to be all things to all men.

The technical complexity comes from how the search results are derived. It seems more accurate than the others.

But if I was to start a new search engine (ha!) I would follow the business model of Google's home page first and keep it very simple for the user.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was a big article in the newspaper about Google yesterday. It's so amazing indeed. It started with just two students working on a project in their garage and now it's a company with thousands of emloyees in more than 20 countries. They've taken over the internet by free, and really good, services.

By the way, wasn't google the first search engine where you didn't have to wait for the results?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

what do you mean "wait for the results" ... ?
Fabinator's profile box wrote:

cool.
  • potchie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • potchie

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice.. congrats..
  • x3mario
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • x3mario

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congrats to you google.
  • Dragon Knight

Post 3+ Months Ago

I congrats to Google too.
  • rikimaru
  • rikimaru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yoo , nice work. They had been constantly innovating and are spreading into new areas eg browsers . Soon Google is going to rule us all :O
  • telegraph
  • Born
  • Born
  • telegraph

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that we have google I don't need my brain anymore!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

telegraph wrote:
Now that we have google I don't need my brain anymore!

As scary as it sounds, that's about how it is.

Google has done for research, what the calculator has done for math.
  • Rajesh8
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rajesh8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many many happy returns of the day google.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, i never realized google is just 10 years old! They already sky-rocketed way way up high!
  • om27
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • om27

Post 3+ Months Ago

They have come a plethora of miles from the time they started out. It has been an incredible journey of success and monopolizing stuff on the web.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts