hidden text

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i know nothing about SEO but i noticed when i look at my listing in google, after the site I get my shoutbox and my now playing text under my site name. Would creating some kind of hidden text put in text more valid to my site, or am i doing something completely wrong in my meta tag?

Code: [ Select ]
<meta NAME="description" CONTENT="Artwork, and webdevelopment.">
<meta NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Vlad, Drac, vladdrac, art, website, programming, html, gary smith, louisville, ky">
<meta name="revisit-after" content="4days">
<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
  1. <meta NAME="description" CONTENT="Artwork, and webdevelopment.">
  2. <meta NAME="keywords" CONTENT="Vlad, Drac, vladdrac, art, website, programming, html, gary smith, louisville, ky">
  3. <meta name="revisit-after" content="4days">
  4. <meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• alien
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alien

Post 3+ Months Ago

NEVER use hidden text. You can easily get your site banned!
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ouch, cool thanks for telling me that
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on your definition of "Hidden"...

There are many things on a page that regular humans won't see when they're browsing around, but Google will...

The alt tag, for example, on images and the title tag of anchor links, etc.

I honestly never bother with meta tags on the sites I do, I concentrate purely on content - both visible and invisible.

Invisible (that is, it's in the code, but not obviously displayed on a web browser), can be just as important as the visible content on the page.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well really what I need to know is what I can do to get my description relevant to my site
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't have any control over what description shows under your listing in google. It will display text from your page close to, or surrounding the matching terms that the user enters in to the search box.
  • mike0815
  • Born
  • Born
  • mike0815

Post 3+ Months Ago

try it via CSS 8)
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

What can css do for the description?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thanks for the advice everyone, I think I am just going to leave it alone....prolly my best bet
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found this today in a competitor's page. Will this be detectable by a search engine?

<body a href="http://www.theirdomain.net/" onMouseOver="location.href 'http://www.theirdomain.net/';">

This code is in a page of moderately optimized text and links to about ten other similar pages. When the user moves the mouse over the page it redirects to the site entrance.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have seen pretty successful redirects on Gateway pages. One client's competitor has a huge keyword content filled gateway page which gets him into top positioning for over a dozen keywords. When the user does a search and clicks on his link, it takes the user to the gateway page, and if their mouse is pointed toward anything on the page, which it 99% of the time is, it immediately redirects to the homepage, so the user never really sees the gateway pages, while the search engine spider just reads the gateway page.

This may be what you are talking about?
  • webmastery
  • Born
  • Born
  • webmastery

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google hardly ever bans websites for hidden text. There are a great number of sites that I see that do it all the time and rank well.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Vetofunk....that's exactly it. This seems so primitive that I would think search spiders would realize this is a redirect. Do those other site ever drop in the rankings or get banned?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

webmastery wrote:
Google hardly ever bans websites for hidden text. There are a great number of sites that I see that do it all the time and rank well.

Yes, but the day will come, and hopefully soon.

:-)
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

haven't checked in such a long time, and now I see they are no longer there. I would like to think it was my spam reporting ;-). They were number 1 for two of my phrases, "used telecommunications", which look who's number 1 & 2 now ;-) and "meridian phone systems".

Here is what they did:
http://www.craigcommunications.net/meri ... tem_d.html

Seeing that they are no longer there, last time I checked was during the last update, I would not recommend doing it. If you have a competitor that is doing this same thing, you can try reporting them.

Oh, and make sure your pointer is not on the site, put it way up in the corner....if you want to see the whole page, use your arrow keys to move down.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow...those pages are identical to the one's that my competitor is using...even the naming conventions are the same. These must be generated with some type of app....even the links on the bottom use the same text as links.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

When i did some research into there site(s), i did see many more sites/pages doing the same thing so you are probably right.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, I am not going to do anything like that. Even if it works it seems unfair
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dug a little deeper into the pages and they all link out to this place "http://www.little-branch-farm.net" it's just full of bogus links.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheating on Google might work for a bit... but if Google catches you, they can be mean... and rightfully so.
  • stickfigure
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stickfigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

i see many sites with their "search keywords" at the bottom of their pages, with tiny little text and hardly readable. is this considered "hidden text" also?

do sites with legitimate redirect pages (outdated, moved) end up getting banned also? or does it take somebody to complain in order for a banning to occur?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

No that is not hidden text. They are usually just text links that lead to other sites, or pages within their own site. I see nothing wrong with it. You can even see them on the bottom of Ozzu.
  • stickfigure
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stickfigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

most of the sites i see this on (tiny words, hardly readable) theyre just text.. fill up nearly half a page one you scroll all the way down and they dont link to anywhere. (quite unprofessional and unattractive if you ask me)

i figure if theyre links its not cheating, but im wondering about just plain text?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, if they are repeating keywords at the bottom of the page, that can be reported as spam.
  • stickfigure
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stickfigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

is it necessary to report them or does google have scripts or software that inevitably picks up on this? none of these sites seem to have amazing google placement so its nothing im all to concerned about.

--

for a lot of my items in the alt tags i put the item description and if necessary, words or items related. is this spamming?

or how about this:
table header: name of item
under image: name of item again
paypal buy buttons (2 different for each item): name of item again
alt tag: name of item and small description if applicable

spamming or no?

last night i redid the most active part of my site and implemented full meta tags with the name of every item on that page plus related key words. spamming or no?
  • sushisalsa
  • Born
  • Born
  • sushisalsa

Post 3+ Months Ago

why does this happen? Traffic Power is the culprit!!!!!!! Im done with them... they are the devil!!
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"do sites with legitimate redirect pages (outdated, moved) end up getting banned also?" No...not if it's done right...use a 301 redirect.

"does it take somebody to complain in order for a banning to occur?" Reporting site is almost useless...you get back a standard reply saying...google will improve their algo to catch violators....some times they do sometimes they don't.

I'm always comming across sites that have hidden text/links and they have PR..some rank good, some not so good. But the one's that rank well are not ranking well because of hidden text or links...they usually have other good SEO tactics...not sure why they resort to these tricks.

stickfigure...your techniques are good and widely accepted...this combined with a good linking startegy will get you high rankings..good luck :)
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The mouse over redirect that's mention in the beginning of this thread has been caught....yeah!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts