How do I get google to list more then the homepage?

• UnfinalFantasy
  • UnfinalFantasy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got my website listed on google (don't have much content, just the layout so far) but google only has the main url ( http://www.unfinalfantasy.com ) listed, if you search for any sentances in quotations, or type the url in for any other part of the site you get no results.

How do I get the other pages on google as well?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

cute web site.

is it a new site? if new, you gotto wait a while more for google to index yr other pages.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

...if its an old site get more back links.

Google will index frames but consider a no frames tag or better still replace frames with very simple server side includes.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should add some text to the opening page and include some text links to internal pages.

I looks like you registered your domain in Nov 2004....when did you first post pages to the site?

You could also add an alt tag to your image so that the link it provides has some meaning.
  • UnfinalFantasy
  • UnfinalFantasy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can somone explain how I can have 'tables'/directories etc. on the top/left hand side like I do now, only without using frames? I was going to put a link to every page on every page so googlebot could crawl it... but that wouldn't make too much sense :)

Frames was the only way I knew how to do it.

any help would be appreciated :) thanks
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some else had this same question a few months back. I posted an example using asp. You can see it here and download the source code.

http://www.mvcomputers.com/stuff/include_example.asp

If your server supports asp you can keep your html file intact and just change it's name to yourfilename.asp and insert the include statement. If your server doesn't support asp I think you can do the same with a .shtml file.....let me search for the old thread.....
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's the old thread on using an include file: http://www.ozzu.com/other-google-information-and-resources/searching-site-t25137.html

This doesn't really explain how to integrate the include file into the html. But it give valid reasons on why to use it vs frames. In the means time figure out what languages your server supports and I will start a new thread tomorrow...must get some sleep ;)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fine post! Not everyone has classic asp but most webservers come with php. For php simply replace the ASP include with:

<?php include("menu.htm") ?>

(and rename the file extention)
  • UnfinalFantasy
  • UnfinalFantasy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alrighty I've tried every variation of the include tag I could think of 'including' changing the file names to html, shtml, asp, php etc, can't get it to work (sometimes I get an error, somtimes it does nothing). What I can do, though, is instead of including the file, just type out the html coding in the index, rather then typing the include tag.

Also, when using the table code you gave me (thanks :P) is it possible to assign names to the different sections, so that I can give links that name target and have it open in that section? Thanks.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a simple example that actually shows you where everything goes....this would be in asp but the format of the file is the same with the exception of the include statement....that would be based on the language you are using, asp, php, cfm, etc...

This is the code for the asp page
Code: [ Select ]
<html>
<head>
<title>Include Test</title>
</head>
<body>

<table>
<tr><td>
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="MyIncludeFile.scr"-->
</td></tr>
</table>

</body>
</html>
  1. <html>
  2. <head>
  3. <title>Include Test</title>
  4. </head>
  5. <body>
  6. <table>
  7. <tr><td>
  8. <!--#INCLUDE FILE="MyIncludeFile.scr"-->
  9. </td></tr>
  10. </table>
  11. </body>
  12. </html>

Then I create the .scr file in notepad or any other editor.

Begin contents of .scr file - can be html, asp script or plain text
Hello Ozzu Forum
End of contents

This example assumes that the .scr file is in the same directory as the asp file....if you want to store the .scr file in another folder just adjust the path to the file I.E. <!--#INCLUDE FILE="scripts/MyIncludeFile.scr"-->

Upload them to the server and it should work.

What kind of error message did you recieve. I also should have mentioned that your server not only needs to support the program language...in this case asp.....but also needs to support server side includes.

No...you can't have the page function the same as the frames....you would need to create a second page using the same format as the first page but you would change the contents of the .scr file to reflect the content of the new page.

Hope that explains it better...if not keep asking questions....don't give up hope....if you server supports it this is by far the best way to over come frames but still have the functionality of sharing one file across multiple pages.....just think of the each .scr file as an individual page in a frame set......good luck :)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

What’s the error message? You server must support ASP for the above, if you dont know can we have the link to your hosting company and package?

I am not sure about ASP all my ASP pages have .asp at the end of all the includes However if you use PHP you can include any text file editable in notepage/dreamweaver etc... formats like .src .htm .txt .html .ozzu .anything are fine.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"However if you use PHP you can include any text file editable in notepage/dreamweaver etc... formats like .src .htm .txt .html .ozzu .anything are fine."

Hey Johan007....you shoudl be able to use any extension with asp as well....I only use the .scr files so that I can easily tell them apart from the actual pages.....I get confused easily ;)
  • designcodes
  • designcodes

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can use sitemap to feed google and other bots.

Include links of all your pages and place sitemap's link on top of your index page.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

designcodes wrote:
You can use sitemap to feed google and other bots.

Include links of all your pages and place sitemap's link on top of your index page.

... good idea. Only downside is that users will not get the navigation frame :( and you also lose out on valuable link count ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts