How much are internal pages worth for google PR?

• quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing.

Well it seems so!

http://www.aoaforums.com/ has about 23,000 internal pages indexed by google. All linking to the home page, which has only a pr of 5. Granted, the site has few inbound links from other sites. But should'nt those 23,000 links sum up to something? The main forum is dynamic but it also has an archive of static versions available. So almost every page was counted.

What gives?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the highest you can get with just internal links is a PR5
Its like a limit or something.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suspect you are right, darkset. This is really bad because I think this actually devalues the worth of original and useful contents of a site.
  • BinaryMan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: CA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if "allinurl:" gives the link count or if "link:" is a more accurate measurement? "link:" only gives 216 links...

Even if all pages link to the main page, remember that pages do not "vote" 1 PR to their links. First, the dampening factor reduces the vote to 0.85 or a page's PR, and then it is divided by the number of links on the page. Therefore, they are splitting the PR quite a bit to outbound links, and what is left does not concentrate on a single page. Their headers alone have several links, and the footer has a dozen more.

It would be logical to cap the PR of a site from internal links only, because google wants to see popularity around the web front different networks linking to each other. I wonder if subdomains are counted separately from the main site?
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think, link: gives you better measurement. After the last update link: is all messed up. Before that link: would only return pr4+ sites linking to you. Now it shows only some arbitrary pages that defies any logical pattern. Even some pr4 inbound link pages are missing. But anyway, one thing you are right about. The linking or navigational structure of that site is seriously flawed. The domain url is redirected, the archive pages do not have a link to the domain/home page etc. etc.

Quote:
I wonder if subdomains are counted separately from the main site?

I would'nt think so. Not in the sense that they are counted as inbound links from another site. Google would look at the IP address and links coming from the same IP would have a lesser value than from a different one.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have gone back and looked at that site a couple times ... and I have to agree!

[url]The linking or navigational structure of that site is seriously flawed.[/url]

The footer links are wrapped in <form tags, most of the links are dynamic, and a whole raft of other bad SEO. They are lucky to have PR at all.

I just hate evaluating individual sites here when there is a forum for that purpose.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

link:www.domainname.com is flawed. I have noticed that some time back. Nothing is happening or consistent with using link:

I wonder what google is doing to it.
Its weird to know that something that was working, isnt working no more...
  • BinaryMan
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

What appears to be the best measurement of incoming links? "allinurl:" returns a lot, but I don't know if they are counted. I was trying to develop a method to recursively scan links to a site, to estimate the actual PR of the site, but if I can't get logical results, it may not be worth the effort. Plus, not all links returned are in an anchor I think.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is nothing flawed with link: command. This is exactly what Google intended.

There are dozens of programs out there that were searching backlinks, not to mention thousands of people doing SEO. What was the burden on their servers?

Now links have to be found the old fashion way ... visit sites.

Quote:
I was trying to develop a method to recursively scan links to a site, to estimate the actual PR of the site

I was looking at this too, although I was hoping to develop a better future PR prediction tool. The other search engines don't provide reliable info either. (Yahoo says 286 links but only shows 140).
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think altavista has a good spread for the link comand.
brings up even more than the allinurl in google for me.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
What appears to be the best measurement of incoming links? "allinurl:" returns a lot, but I don't know if they are counted.

IMO every single page indexed by google should be counted for PR and should be able to pass some pr to other pages. How or why would google differentiate among pages that has pr value or not? So long a page is crawlable and has contents it should be counted.

Little offtopic,

I think, google has stopped assigning or upgrading pr in last few weeks. Or it has made some radical change in calculating pr. Has anyone noticed a PR upgrade for ANY of their pages in last few weeks?
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I think, google has stopped assigning or upgrading pr in last few weeks. Or it has made some radical change in calculating pr. Has anyone noticed a PR upgrade for ANY of their pages in last few weeks?

I have noticed this too. None of my NEW pages have received PR for the last two updates. Before that they were being updated every time.

I think that will be corrected starting tonight ... I noticed some strange Google behavior on Saturday ... and there is usually an update after 24-48 hours :D
  • BinaryMan
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

quantumcloud wrote:
Quote:

IMO every single page indexed by google should be counted for PR and should be able to pass some pr to other pages. How or why would google differentiate among pages that has pr value or not? So long a page is crawlable and has contents it should be counted.

From what I've read, pages must have links in and out to be counted for PR. "dangling links" - pages with no outbound links, are not included in the equation. So it's best to link everything with a header to the main page for safety.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
From what I've read, pages must have links in and out to be counted for PR. "dangling links" - pages with no outbound links, are not included in the equation. So it's best to link everything with a header to the main page for safety.

I agree with you. Though dangling pages have little chance to get indexed in the first place. A site map linked from the home page, that includes static links to all the pages is probably the best idea.

By "pages with no outbound links" you mean link to other pages on the same site or links to othe web sites?
  • gm1234
  • gm1234

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi
  • gm1234
  • gm1234

Post 3+ Months Ago

Believe it or not; the more the webpages you have the maximum will be your pagerank. SO more webpages help you get the maximum pagerank if not more pagerank.

Also make sure to link all pages using site wide links or a sitemap.

Never use cookie cutters or pages having similar content or very less content. You might get penelized for doing this.

Bye
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm....what was we talking about!

And what is this? You got four links in your sig! I want four links too. :twisted:
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehheh. the amount of words he has in his sig, is more than the number of words he posted.

??

hehe. anyway, back to topic.
internal pages are mostly worth heaps to overall PR. as long as they are linked properly.

Generally, the more the merrier
assuming you have good contents.

if you have like an 8 page site of very useful stuffs.
your site PR may be higher than that of big site.

Just my cents.. :-)
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow gm1234 is the Zen master of SEO. LOL
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
if you have like an 8 page site of very useful stuffs.
your site PR may be higher than that of big site.

That is my notion too. And that's the way it should be. I was just thrown off by that site, with so many pages but low pr. It has good contents too. Should'nt you think that if you have about 30,000 individual pages of good contents indexed by google then the quality and the sheer number of pages would drag the site upto pr 7/8? Google may think otherwise. I would say that'd be only fair.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you do that again GM1234 I will drop every site you promote.

Its like he follows me from forum to forum.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry was looking at bottom of page 1,
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think forums provide the best structure for maximizing PR ...

The forums are usually three (or more) clicks away from the home page.

There are often many links per page that dilute PR value. Most links are to external sites, which also causes PR to leak away from the site.

Then the topics are only relevant for short periods, compared to the update cycle. So pages are always NEW and have no PR assigned to them.

Then we have the site quantumcloud is asking about ....

Poor link structure, dynamic pages with multiple script parameters in all the links, few external links ...

I think they just made a bad situation even worse. :lol:
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice rtchar. These are good tips that would come in handy for me too!
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forums are useless for PR but because of changing content they get spidered a lot so they are good for linking to new pages you want spidered.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts