do IFRAME pages get indexed

• onemillion
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • onemillion
  • Loc: Baltimore

Post 3+ Months Ago

My site uses iframes to include pages into the center of the index.html and I was wondering if those pages and there content will be indexed as well?

Thanks!
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

No they wont be indexed, Not unless the page being displyed in the frame is linked to.
  • onemillion
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • onemillion

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
No they wont be indexed, Not unless the page being displyed in the frame is linked to.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using the iframe to replace the content in the center of my home page. http://www.bidmyspace.com using javascript to do the change in content.

1. Do you have any suggestions on how I can rewrite this to get all my pages indexed and still maintain the same functionality with the center content?

2. If I just put a real link to all the pages on my index page using the TARGET="_BLANK" with the google bot follow those to get the content since they are not following the IFRAME content? Or is this frowned apone?

Thanks!
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would suggest doing it with a php include. You can still change the center content and the code will be included server side before being sent to the browser of the spider.

If the google bot can get to and read the page it will index it.
So if you link to the pages that are included in the frame google would index them.
  • onemillion
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • onemillion

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
I would suggest doing it with a php include. You can still change the center content and the code will be included server side before being sent to the browser of the spider.

If the google bot can get to and read the page it will index it.
So if you link to the pages that are included in the frame google would index them.

Makes sense but if I have 30 different random includes based on what link is clicked will the spider(bot) or how will the spider bot know to visit each instance of includes if it is random?
  • bermuda
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bermuda

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately the matter of frames is still a no no in the world of SEO and it seems that search engines will never get along with this case.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts