Increase in number of pages indexed.

  • billion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • billion
  • Posts: 34

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone!

Did anyone else notice a huge increase in number of pages indexed with Google today? Most of our sites see 50-100% increase compared to a couple of hours ago. I've never seen a "dance" like this before and really hope it would stay. Any ideas or thoughts regarding this?

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1153
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, Google has been sucking the bandwidth from our site for the last week or so. Speculation that google is up to something - however increased bot activity could just be a Google trying to offer better results by making the fresher and more updated.
  • longcall911
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • longcall911
  • Posts: 23
  • Loc: Northern NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but I've seen a big increase in the pool size (total number of pages GG has found) for my most important keyphrase.

Normally, searching for that phrase returns 1200k pages. About a month or so ago, the pool dropped to about 1000k. That was around the time of the last backlink update. At the time, lots of people were talking about GG dropping lots of their site's pages from the index, and some reported that entire directory websites (link list type sites) were being dropped.

Today, for the keyphrase referenced above, about 1700k pages are found, up from 1000k. This could be the result of the new googlebot's extended crawls.
  • billion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • billion
  • Posts: 34

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jess wrote:
Yup, Google has been sucking the bandwidth from our site for the last week or so. Speculation that google is up to something - however increased bot activity could just be a Google trying to offer better results by making the fresher and more updated.



Yes, but today Google is not only sucking the bandwidth...it's showing a huge increase in number of pages in search results(using site:blablasite). I'm sorry, I was unclear in my first post. It's not easy when you're from Sweden. :)
  • billion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • billion
  • Posts: 34

Post 3+ Months Ago

longcall911 wrote:
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but I've seen a big increase in the pool size (total number of pages GG has found) for my most important keyphrase.

Normally, searching for that phrase returns 1200k pages. About a month or so ago, the pool dropped to about 1000k. That was around the time of the last backlink update. At the time, lots of people were talking about GG dropping lots of their site's pages from the index, and some reported that entire directory websites (link list type sites) were being dropped.

Today, for the keyphrase referenced above, about 1700k pages are found, up from 1000k. This could be the result of the new googlebot's extended crawls.


Yes, I beleive this is what I talk about. :?
  • reciprocal
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 19
  • Loc: Bemidji, MN 56601

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeppers same here I've notice that google has really been doing some crawling.. Haven't noticed any updates yet though on the pr.. Although a couple days ago I did notice some in our directory. My guess is that google is trying to fool all the SEO's again by changing their Algorithms again
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1153
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

billion wrote:
Jess wrote:
Yup, Google has been sucking the bandwidth from our site for the last week or so. Speculation that google is up to something - however increased bot activity could just be a Google trying to offer better results by making the fresher and more updated.



Yes, but today Google is not only sucking the bandwidth...it's showing a huge increase in number of pages in search results(using site:blablasite). I'm sorry, I was unclear in my first post. It's not easy when you're from Sweden. :)


Aha -- Yes I just checked - big increase here also :)
  • semko
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • semko
  • Posts: 25

Post 3+ Months Ago

billion wrote:
Hi everyone!

Did anyone else notice a huge increase in number of pages indexed with Google today? Most of our sites see 50-100% increase compared to a couple of hours ago. I've never seen a "dance" like this before and really hope it would stay. Any ideas or thoughts regarding this?

Thanks.

Yes, I have noticed that unusual activity also, my guess is that a huge database update is in progress right now, we shall just have to wait and see what happens :)
  • billion
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • billion
  • Posts: 34

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please take a look at the new thread I started today. I think it explains it all:

http://www.ozzu.com/other-google-information-and-resources/indexed-pages-has-been-doubled-t35231.html
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9090
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to Google there are also now about twice as many pages indexed by Google for Ozzu. Before there were approximately 180,000 pages indexed, and now there are about 368,000 pages indexed. Traffic has also increased a great deal from Google to Ozzu because of this.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1153
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
According to Google there are also now about twice as many pages indexed by Google for Ozzu. Before there were approximately 180,000 pages indexed, and now there are about 368,000 pages indexed. Traffic has also increased a great deal from Google to Ozzu because of this.


http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ozzu%2Ecom

Results 1 - 10 of about 260,000 from http://www.ozzu.com

How do you measure how many pages Ozzu has indexed? Or is the 368,000 from a different data centre?

Those numbers are still huge! :shock:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9090
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=si ... %22.com%22

I have always typed in: site:www.yourdomain.com + "www.yourdomain." + ".com"

to get the number of pages google lists for your site.
  • djtheropy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • djtheropy
  • Posts: 111

Post 3+ Months Ago

i now have 127 pages indexed (found using site:www.teens.iconrate.net ) and google has eaten 5mb of bandwidth now for a site that is just over a month old and has only 4 backlinks (Untill the next update at least) i would say that is pretty good.
  • fourthring
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 152
  • Loc: San Diego / Beijing

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I am just wondering how this will effect SEO in general. With double the index, you would have to think that there would be more competition for the same keywords. Maybe they'll adjust their ranking algorithm...
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Posts: 2115
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
yeah I am just wondering how this will effect SEO in general. With double the index, you would have to think that there would be more competition for the same keywords. Maybe they'll adjust their ranking algorithm...


my guess is that it wont affect seo very much. afterall the competition is about the same cuz the competitors are still the same. Unless more webmasters go into seo, the competitiveness of it all is pretty much the same.
  • TheArchitect
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • TheArchitect
  • Posts: 764
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

A software engineer from Google posted about it on the Google blog. Looks like they've made some changes to their algorithm. That makes me smile very broadly. :wink:

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.