Just don't get it

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it depends on the category and what shape its in. They will not let you start on a large directory, so if you decide to apply, apply for something very small. I have 2 categories and I update them every 2 weeks. I usually get about 1/2 dozen sites submitted to each every two weeks so its not to bad. I spend about 2 hours every two weeks.

If you want to start editing you can always apply for other directories too. I am an editor for JoeAnt, GoGuides and Zeal as well.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am editor for DMOZ, Zeal and JoeAnt.

I have a IT job and find the time to do them in my lunch break (2 to 30 mins depending on how I feel or on a boring wet Sunday afternoon here in the UK.

I like it but I dont know why! Maybe power, maybe cos I want to see what my competitors are doing, maybe cos I want to make the internet search results relavent helping kill spam!
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would be nice if all us Dmoz editors could help each other out ;-) but I doubt any of us have the categories the rest of us need submissions in.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know anyone doing a cat in "Web design"? my portofolio was sumbitted 3 years ago and then I submited it at 6 months and still not listed! :cry:
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I don't, but I expect that category to be backlogged quite a bit.
  • Grogger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Grogger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I figure I'll submit an app and see what happens. Been a Web App developer for years and used to be an Editor for a legal publishing company, so maybe that'll help ... maybe not :roll:

If I can help the backlog that's been frustrating me even a little bit, it'll be worth it.
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quite true.

Thanks for the information.

Google do give importance to links from DMOZ and educational sites (.edu).
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google gives them no more or less importance than being linked from any other page with the same PR.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Careful when you make comments in a forums that you can have evidence to back up your claims or put IMO / in my opinion.

cyberax wrote:
Google do give importance to links from DMOZ and educational sites(.edu).

Wrong! Hilltop has not been implemented and Axe is correct on his point. You should have known this as your website claims to do a bit of CEO.
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well ofcourse I do have certain basis on which I derived the above conclusion.

The idea why I said google give high weightage to the Open Directory are as follows:

1. It is hard to get a listing to this.
2. Human edited directory.
3. Google directory takes feed from DMOZ.

Just to prove my point Search Google for "ASP.NET Hosting India" without quotes.

You would find our site on the first page out of 70,000 results

Now visit our site http://www.cyberax.net you would notice apart from the metatags we have only 2 places where we mentioned ASP.NET. Not even the TITLE tag includes ASP.NET

And I do not think we ever had requested for reciprocal linking with the link title having ASP.NET.

So how you think it managed to get to the top for this search phrase.

Regarding .EDU sites this I read it at SEORank.com / linkingmatters.com site but do not remember the exact URL else would have pasted the same.

A quick note:
Google's order of results is automatically determined by more than 100 factors, including PageRank algorithm. Due to the nature of their business and interest in protecting the integrity of their search results, this is the only information that is being made available to the public about their ranking system.

So what we all post is from the knowledge we gain through shared knowledge and experience.

So I still stick to my comment.

Regarding "IMO" I feel whatever I say on the forum is my own opinion untill i mention it specifically. :)

Cheers guys no offence intended ;)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe my forum post was a little harsh in my quest for evidance. I am going to investigate more sites that rank on Google that are in Dmoz myself as I have always done (something to do this Easter!)
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have any evidence either, but I also think DMOZ has some added weight, though perhaps less and less. I haven't checked recently for results, but I know that earlier this year many sites in DMOZ were in top positions for one of my categories, even though they didn't have many other links point to them.

Remember also that there are many other directories that automatically link to you since they are based on ODP, so that counts too and could actually be the only factor that makes DMOZ such a bonus...
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Just to prove my point Search Google for "ASP.NET Hosting India" without quotes.

You would find our site on the first page out of 70,000 results

Now visit our site http://www.cyberax.net you would notice apart from the metatags we have only 2 places where we mentioned ASP.NET. Not even the TITLE tag includes ASP.NET

And I do not think we ever had requested for reciprocal linking with the link title having ASP.NET.

So how you think it managed to get to the top for this search phrase

Not sure if I would use this to prove your point. There are only 17 of the 70,000+ pages that have ASP.NET in the title and mention India on their page....this would be why google had to go deeper into the body content to find matches. I have a #2 ranked site in google and don't have a dmoz listing....I have similar sites that have dmoz listings and don't rank in the top 100 for the same keyphrase....my site that ranks high has lots of content...and a good internal link system.
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I repeat:

"Google's order of results is automatically determined by more than 100 factors, including PageRank algorithm. Due to the nature of their business and interest in protecting the integrity of their search results, this is the only information that is being made available to the public about their ranking system. "

So how can you be 100% sure that what I am saying is not one of the Factors. Please enlighten us with your share of knowledge.

Cheers,
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would be asking a lot of anyone to really prove a point one way or the other unless some one is prepared to do a proper paper with tables and graphs that have all the variables that could answer our hypothesis without any bias.

Hypothesis: A listing on Dmoz has no influence on SE ranking

Variables:
About 10 websites
Dmoz PR and link text
Innboud links PR and link text that’s greater than 4
Inbound links PR and link text less than 4
Key word density
H1 keywords
HTML title key words

Already you going to see a massive matrix so the only feasible way is to do the results on new websites to make it easier – however this may result in wrong conclusions because many people have seen new websites given a large ranking boost only to drop off after 2 or 3 months.

Its not easy to prove anything.
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are right :)

Probably someone from Google can help us.

Regards,
Vijay Bhatter

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 46 posts