link:url and PR - are they associated?

• George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

A quick question – does link:URL work against the <A href> tag or the actual wording of the link? Reason being that when I do link:www.trashandtreasure.net google tells me that only two sites link to mine. However, I know this not be be true as I have reciprocal links with a dozen or so sites.

What I’ve noticed is those websites that google finds, specify both the wording and <A href> tag as http://www.trashandtreasure.net , but those that word the link as trash and treasure or trashandtreasure do not get picked up by link:URL, even though their <A href> tag is also pointing to http://www.trashandtreasure.net.

This brings up another important question - is link:URL a good indicator of increasing PR? If so, I’m confused as doesn’t this go against the notion that when setting up reciprocal links you should target specific words that reflect the keywords of the page/site your linking to. That is, my site is about Garage Sales and links to my site should be worded as Garage Sale, Free Garage Sales, Yard Sales, etc, so as to increase PR – but link:URL does not seem to work like this.

Any feedback would be great.

Regards
George Gambino

PS….absolutely love this site!!!
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not just you. link:www.yoursite.com is showing a fraction of the all the websites linking to you in google. About 3 months ago they changed the algo to not show all the backlinks. Because it was being abused highly I guess. You will get a more accurate number of backlinks by searching in yahoo like,

linksite:www.quantumcloud.com

And in altavista like,

link:www.quantumcloud.com

Number of backlinks is the indicator of your PR. link:url in google is not. Not anymore.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

George welcome to the forum ... hope we can be of some help.

Quote:
does link:URL work against the <A href> tag or the actual wording of the link

the link:url search returns a SAMPLING of links to the url. Google does not display all links, and recently they have only been showing links from sites with lower PR.

Quote:
links to my site should be worded as Garage Sale, Free Garage Sales, Yard Sales, etc, so as to increase PR

PR is a calculation of the the number and quality of links pointing to your site. It has nothing to do with the wording used in anchor text.

However anchor text has everything to do with what POSITION your site will get in search results. So if the anchor text contains words that people are searching for then your results will appear higher in the results.
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys - you provided some good insight into my question.

Quantumcloud - thanks for those links to yahoo and altavista. They should be useful as tools in improving and marketing my site.

Rtchar - you make an additional point and that is, getting a good position in the search results (by using good anhcor text for incoming links) somehow differs from PR? If you had good PR, say 6/10, wouldn't that guarantee good search result positioning? Or overall, is search result positioning a combination of both quality incoming links (PR) and incoming links with good anchor text?

Yes, I'm happy to be here....forums like this are worth their weight in Gold. Ppl seem quite willing to help and share and I hope I can give as much in return.

:)
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
If you had good PR, say 6/10, wouldn't that guarantee good search result positioning?

Sorry, but it is just not that easy. :)

In effect Google uses a formula to determine how well your page matches the search term. Then applies PR to try and get the best pages near the top of the search results.

So PR is only one of 100+ factors used in determining where your site ends up on the search results.

Quote:
getting a good position in the search results (by using good anhcor text for incoming links)

Anchor text is treated as if it was contained on the page in the outgoing link. So in effect you get credit for text on some elses page. But Google attaches even more importance ... so you get better rankings.

Again just one of the 100+ factors used. :lol:
  • George_Gambino
  • Student
  • Student
  • George_Gambino

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks once again rtchar....you make sound and valid points.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you George 8)

So many people are looking for that one "magic bullet", that will distort the search engine results in their favor. I my opinion ... if it exists ... it will likely get you banned.

All you need is good quality content, natural links, and time.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a good explenation of PR and backlinks
http://www.web-mastery.net/postt1590.html
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very interesting ...

Just an example of how important links text can be. I found this result when checking one of my search terms.

The site ranked #1 ... when I checked the cached page I received this message.
Quote:
These search terms have been highlighted: term#1
These terms only appear in links pointing to this page: term#2

So link text made this site. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts