Meta Tags - Use it or not

• coolslko
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • coolslko
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am in little confusion about using Meta tags because as I know meta tags are devalued and not valuable for search engines as earlier and do not help to get higher ranking on search engines or Page rank so still we should use meta tags or now we should leave it.

Does it all right to add meta tags and leave your keywords open among your competitors. I mean by using keyword tag we add our all main keywords to our keyword tag and your competitors can easily see your keywords through view source and your hard work in selecting right keywords will be waste and your competitors have better chance to rank well and also have great chance to beat you without doing enough hard work.

What should we do, use it or avoid Meta tags now?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Avoid meta tags? Craziness I say. Use them, because they are one of the main things that search engines look for.
  • red_socks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • red_socks

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can use your meta tags but It's not that important, you must focus more on your targeted keywords.
  • aira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • aira

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't ignore metas coz, some SE's are still looking for it as one of their ranking factors..
  • weblaunchphxx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google gives a lot of "weight" to the title tag. So, try to put your target keywords in title tag for better SERPs. But you have to limite your title tags to 60 characters. Google does not use meta tags such as the keywords meta tag or the description meta tag because it has tendency to create description from first few lines of text on your site.
  • coolslko
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • coolslko

Post 3+ Months Ago

weblaunchphxx wrote:
Google gives a lot of "weight" to the title tag. So, try to put your target keywords in title tag for better SERPs. But you have to limite your title tags to 60 characters. Google does not use meta tags such as the keywords meta tag or the description meta tag because it has tendency to create description from first few lines of text on your site.

Ok....... but does it not make easy to our competitors to easily get our list of keywords for that we have work hard to select and to get rank.
  • weblaunchphxx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

coolslko wrote:
weblaunchphxx wrote:

Ok....... but does it not make easy to our competitors to easily get our list of keywords for that we have work hard to select and to get rank.

Please suggest me the way through which we can keep our target keywords secrete from our competitors.
  • coolslko
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • coolslko

Post 3+ Months Ago

weblaunchphxx wrote:
coolslko wrote:
weblaunchphxx wrote:

Please suggest me the way through which we can keep our target keywords secrete from our competitors.

Yes........that I mean and I am also looking for that.......If I will come to know I will sure let you know too.
  • Tahity
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

red_socks wrote:
You can use your meta tags but It's not that important, you must focus more on your targeted keywords.

Yap tour right. The meta tags are just another way of increasing your keywords density. So yes ... it is for the best to use them. Not like other guys say that search engines are crazy about them .... they are good only for one thing DENSITY OF KEYWORDS
  • Cerebro
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan & Mackinac

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just like everyone else is saying, put some time into them, but it should not be your main concern. Some SE's do use them for their ranking factors. Google focuses highly on Title/keyword density. Mostly onsite optimization is popular with yahoo and the like.
  • stevekr
  • stevekr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use at least meta description, keywords in your page.
  • lukeatme7
  • Born
  • Born
  • lukeatme7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even if you don't put keywords in your meta tag your competitors will still know what keywords you want your site optimized. It's just a matter of finding the right tools. :D
  • Puneet Thakkar
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lukeatme7 wrote:
Even if you don't put keywords in your meta tag your competitors will still know what keywords you want your site optimized. It's just a matter of finding the right tools. :D

thats right frd....

but there are many other factors except Meta tags for on page optimization ... so y to worry about the competitors copying our meta tags ... u keep ur hard work on and get ur needful results for sure ....

Regards
Puneet M
  • x3mario
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • x3mario

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meta tags are helpful....can increase site visibilty to spiders...
  • seowebsitetraffic
  • seowebsitetraffic

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many people think that an image looks better than text for headings and menu. Ofcurse, an image can make your site look more distinctive, but in the terms of seo images for headings and menus are a big mistakes
  • av1972
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • av1972
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

google penalises you if you do not have title and description as metatags
  • cotopaxi360
  • Born
  • Born
  • cotopaxi360
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Title Tag is VERY important. Include the keyword meta tag but don't stress too much about it.

It's far better to concentrate on the title and keywords in the page content.

Include a description meta tag too as this is often combined with page content to generate snippets.

A very interesting report about the most important Google SEO factors can be read here...

http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors
  • Himalayan
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meta tags are useful and part of on-page optimization. All robots first read the meta tags of any page.
  • website-design
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • website-design

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the best thing is to use meta tags.

My reasoning behind this is that

1) regardless of wheter you put your meta tags - people wil stil find out wat keywords you are targeting by looking at your keyword density ...

2) some search engines use it... it might also be used a secondary classification factor for some searche engines...

3) meta tags are simple - you only need about 5-10 keywords on a page...

... you will loose out on a bit of traffic from smaller SE's ...

... main thing concentrate on title, headings, content and keywords ...
  • Loz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: All over the place

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's no need to place keywords in a keyword meta tag, google, msn, yahoo doesn't use that to determine where you are going to rank, nor does it use it to find out what your page is about.

A meta description tag is ok, although I have found it to be fussy at times.

one of the main rules is to ensure that the first 25 words contain your keywords in and the last 25 words, and scatter your keywords throughout each paragraph just as if it were another meta description tag.

choosing to avoid the description meta tag can prove helpful providing the page is SE friendly, end result is you will find more traffic. :)

Hope this helps.

All the best

Loz
  • Swirl Media Solution
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Swirl Media Solution

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't ignore meta tags coz, meta tag is a most important factor of seo.
  • Loz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

complete nonsense, sorry, but you will find you will rank higher with no keyword meta tag than you would having one on your site.

google DOES NOT use the meta keyword tag to determine where you will rank. It hasn't done for many years now because people were spamming all sorts of keywords in this tag to get high rankings.

Swirl Media Solution wrote:
don't ignore meta tags coz, meta tag is a most important factor of seo.
  • kenneth.robert12
  • Born
  • Born
  • kenneth.robert12

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,
According to me using a meta tag is good it make spiders jobs easier.
  • mit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use Meta Description, it will be useful and act as a more content where you can include your targeted keywords. Google will use it and show it in the search results.
  • x3mario
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • x3mario

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meta tags are very helpful not only to spiders but on the visitors as well especially the title..
  • x3mario
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • x3mario

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can add an alt tag on the image to make it readable by spiders.
  • erikko
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • erikko

Post 3+ Months Ago

its effective on my part after adding tags to all my images and in the blog itself
  • tasameem
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tasameem

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Meta Tags are important read this article

http://www.tasameem.net/store/free-traffic-tips.html
  • psyche
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • psyche

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyway there is no bad effect in your site if you place a meta-tags...beside it helps the spider do his job in your site...So better have it than nothing...
  • Loz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry, not true, try creating a ror.xml file and placing the relevent code in the header tag so the search engines can find your pages easier than it would with a html site map.

kenneth.robert12 wrote:
hi,
According to me using a meta tag is good it make spiders jobs easier.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts