More privacy concern as Google targets ads based on activity

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to a Reuters article Google is to "aim online ads at people based on their Web browsing history"

Quote:
Until now, the types of text and display ads that Google served to Web surfers were based solely on the content of the specific Web page being viewed by an individual.

With behavior advertising, Google and advertisers will be able to consider an individual's broader history of Web surfing when deciding which ads to pitch.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo ... nologyNews
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

This might get ugly.

http://www.adbusters.org/blogs/blackspot_blog/unclick_google.html
Quote:
The system I propose is quite simple and is accomplished in three steps: 1) Install Firefox 2) Install GreaseMonkey (a useful plug-in for Firefox) 3) Install the Blackspot Google GreaseMonkey script or if you are on a slow network install the Blackspot Google Randomly script which will only click on one ad randomly.

Now, whenever you use Google your computer will automatically click on all the AdSense advertisements sending a message to Google to stop their privacy violations.

Sound familiar ?

I can't figure out why people are soo worried about having ads targeted to them. Some people actually pay to have places cater to them like that, it's like going into a resturaunt and having them ask you if you'ld like your usual.
  • Cookielisa
  • Born
  • Born
  • Cookielisa
  • Loc: wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is sort of what I wrote the Admin about, FEEDJIT actually puts your HOME town on other people's sites!!! I wouldn't have an issue if they listed random cities but no it puts your home town on there. I tried changing my IP addy Via tools/internetoptions/Lans settings and nothing. It still came up with MY HOME TOWN! I had a stalker last year that offered to PAY people for my home address!!! So now I am trying to find a way to have my home town NOT SHOW UP ON FEEDJIT. Talk about a total invasion of privacy. For now if I can I will avoid those sites that have it but there is no way of knowing until AFTER you have entered the site. *sigh* Any help would be appreciated.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see the connection cookielisa. :scratchhead:
  • karmadir
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • karmadir
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does that mean that google will show the ads on our websites and blogs based on the search we do in google.

What's the purpose?, what benefit it will give to google ad publisher?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts