Myspace getting more hits than google?

• WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

arakno wrote:
...but before publishing any work of yours let me suggest you visiting this link:

http://www.rinf.com/columnists/news/myspacefox-artists-beware

Really good information, Arakno - thanks for the post. :D

Sam
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• arakno
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Lisboa

Post 3+ Months Ago

you'r welcome, since u got interested you might wanna read this essay also:

http://www.danah.org/papers/FriendsterMySpaceEssay.html
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had NO idea about that, i just posted that link as a bulliten on myspace. thats brutal, artists having no rights about what they post. I wonder if anyone has actually had to make any legal pursuits or had their works tagged or taken... this is scary, i knew people could copy and save my personal pictures, so i only post what i dont mind being taken...
i feel sorry for people promoting their music or art, if this is true its really scary.
  • arakno
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Lisboa

Post 3+ Months Ago

If think that's what happens with most of us. I dont use myspace i use hi5 which is similar , but maybe they have the same policy. So i don't really mind people grabbing media i post there because its not critical media.
What is critical media anyway? Something u could profit from, something u own, something u dont want to share? So if thats what it is then u shouldn't post it i guess. But that would take the whole fun out of it wouldn't it?

Anyway.. i dont see it as scary as u do, u have to be aware that it already happened lots of times and u probably haven't noticed becasuse the world is so big.... If u submit something its exposed worldwide, u can get credited for it if u have a big exposure ( and good lawyers ) before the other person does , that is IF u can notice that u got ripped!

A new social era is arriving and we have to face the right way. I dont think actual copyright laws are , well .. actual.. :P
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know they are long and boring, but you should always read the TOS before you sign up for something. Especially an internet service.
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

its pretty bad that ive never even thought about it. i really should become more internet savvy
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

The challenge with this kind of policy, from an artist's perspective, is that you basically sign away your rights to your intellectual property, with no hope of reaping any financial benefit from exposure on myspace. In principle, this is a raw deal - in reality, however, it may not be. Depending on how myspace used the material, it could potentially provide a great deal of exposure, which can be just as valuable as cold hard cash when an artist is looking to make his or her mark. The fact that it's so open-ended is valid reason for concern, however, and I think it's smart to proceed with caution when posting material to this type of site.

Sam
  • agent14
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • agent14
  • Loc: Barbados

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um, myspace doesn't get more hits than google. Check Alexa rankings, MySpace is number 5 currently and Google is number 2.
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

When used properly MySpace is an amazing networking site, and I don't mean socially. I have a myspace profile set up for my website, it's our #3 referrer, responsible for about 20% of the traffic coming to our site.

The bulletins allow you to keep up on everyone's project, be it their band, their book, their website. If you stay away from the giggly girls and bro-man dudes, it can be a great site.

http://www.myspace.com/fallofautumn <- I know they have the no_follow tag here so it isn't self-promotion, it's an example of using the site to your own advantage.

One example, I run special promotions for our "myspace friends" only... so they add our profile and then receive all the bulletins and blog posts. It's like having a newsletter, but they keep subscribed because of the specials.
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like in malaysia, most of the indie bands (HC,emo, punk, skinhead etc) have their own myspace and it's very useful if you want to keep in touch with the current (underground) music scene, latest gigs, latest album/EP/LP release, zines distro etc. So i'm will not say that Myspace is a total rubbish, but most of the content are profiles and stuff just like friendster. It really up to you on how you use it to your own beneficial.

Re customising the template for myspace IMHO is just a waste of time.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Myspace reminds me of how Yahoo was when I first learned about this internet thing.
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alan Lastufka wrote:
When used properly MySpace is an amazing networking site, and I don't mean socially. I have a myspace profile set up for my website, it's our #3 referrer, responsible for about 20% of the traffic coming to our site.

The bulletins allow you to keep up on everyone's project, be it their band, their book, their website. If you stay away from the giggly girls and bro-man dudes, it can be a great site.

http://www.myspace.com/fallofautumn <- I know they have the no_follow tag here so it isn't self-promotion, it's an example of using the site to your own advantage.

One example, I run special promotions for our "myspace friends" only... so they add our profile and then receive all the bulletins and blog posts. It's like having a newsletter, but they keep subscribed because of the specials.

Hey Alan,

Just wanted to say "thanks" for posting a link to your MySpace page - I agree that it's all in how you use it, and once I set up a page for myself (which I plan to do soon), it's good to have a "frame of reference" from which to work. :D

Sam
  • yesgonow
  • yesgonow

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't particularly like Myspace.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like myspace either. But that's probably just because of my age. Myspace mostly attracts the teen demography, I believe.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 44 posts