Myspace getting more hits than google?

• Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Myspace is honestly so addictive, its no wonder that its getting more hits than google. I made a profile to see what all the fuss is about, but so far ive won a all inclusive trip to vegas through it, met some awesome girls and guys, and just had a really positive experiance, not to mention a lot of bands to have it so when they are coming into town u can make direct contact with them!
what are ur thoughts on myspace?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azita_RG wrote:

I would rather eat my own eyes than visit myspace.... It really is complete bottom gravy. :D
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol.
why do u think its "bottom gravy?"
hehe is that an english term?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It just takes up so much space and provides very little.
The pages are bloated and there is nothing of interest on any of them.

Some people like it, But for me i don't see any reason to go there.
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

fair enough, to each their own. i found it as a good site to keep in touch with old friends, network, and meet new people. but yah, again, to each their own.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also think it is a waste of bandwidth. Nothing but child predators and guys trying to hook up with "women" who post hot pics of "themselves".
  • hooperman
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hooperman
  • Loc: manchester, uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Azita_RG wrote:

I would rather eat my own eyes than visit myspace.... It really is complete bottom gravy. :D

Excellent summary! :mrgreen:
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, always one to flout convention, I have yet to visit myspace...but I may be visiting soon. I'm a musician, and from what I understand, it's a pretty good place to promote original music. Any input or experience on this front appreciated... :D

Sam
  • Ganceann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Ganceann

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was it myspace that got credited for launching Arctic Monkeys into the big time?

There was also another british solo artist (I forget her name now :P) that got a high profile contract as she was attracting 50k+ crowds to her myspace samples/gigs... not sure if it was myspace for her or another free publicity generating site.

From what I have heard, it is a decent way to attract a following and build up some type of buzz, although at the end of the day some hard marketing would still be required etc.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never heard of Arctic Monkeys so they aren't that big time.
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

arctic monkeys are pretty big. look em up.
i read that myspace was originated for bands, to make contacts, and producers and musicians to have a cyber hub, celebs and eventually regular people got in, and now its huge. forbidden is the name of the girl that was getting crazy hits, she has several million "friends" on her list, she was recently on the tyra banks show, has a contract, and a clothing line now. tila tiquila is another one, she just hit over a million friends and has a contract, these are regular people, thats what blows my mind about myspace, anyone can use it as a tool to go big. or just listen to tunes for free at work, browse spaces, i highly recommend you make a site, ask me for my url if you want to see mine.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never visited myspace except to check a few occasional pages that some of our members were having problems with. Other than that my perception of myspace is the black whole of the internet and I have no intention of taking a trip to look at a whole bunch of nothing.
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

FINE.
lol kidding.

i think its worth browsing, if youre interested in music, any/all bands are on it. i love underground random indie bands, and ive found some solid tracks on there. but yah to each their own. i won a trip to vegas soi cant hate on myspace!

thanks for the feedback though its very interesting.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK. Just for kicks I checked it out for a bit. I was overly generous in my analogy. Landfill or garbage dump would have been better. But as you say, to each his/her own.
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats not nice.
i have a feeling now ur just set on hating on it, and nothing will change ur mind, so ill stop promoting it. it works well for me, i volunteer for amnesty, have 200 friends on my list so when i post bullitens for causes that need support, it gets immidiate awareness. i cant see how thats a bad thing.
garbage? sure...
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats not nice.
i have a feeling now ur just set on hating on it, and nothing will change ur mind, so ill stop promoting it. it works well for me, i volunteer for amnesty, have 200 friends on my list so when i post bullitens for causes that need support, it gets immidiate awareness. i cant see how thats a bad thing.
garbage? sure...
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that is part of the problem. The only things even remotely worth looking at are pages that are promoting something, Like bands and causes...
So why would people want to wade through rubbish in the hope that eventually they will find some adverts?
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thats what im saying, if you and all your friends, as well as bands u have added and people you have met have access to the causes youre promoting, then it creates an intimate access to what youre saying. u dont have to go through everyones page, u add u and ur friends that have it, and eventually random people request you and u see what theyre about and add em if you like. its up to you how much u want to be out there, and what ur purpose is on there. yah there are pervs and random hot girls that just want comments or excessive friends, but there is that everywhere. if u choose to use it for good, then it can be a really influential tool that has access to potentially millions of people within a click of a button. i have yet to find that anywhere else.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunatley, you are a minority from the majority of myspace pages I have seen. If everyone did as you did it might be worth something.
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

You just have to make the good happen where you can, the majority or minority is irrellevent to what youre striving for, even if one person listens I think its worth it.

:D :lilangel:

haha i love the emoticons
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thing that would run through my mind is "Would i want to be associated with myspace".
And i don't think i would.

The majority or minority is very important if you are dropping your good cause or product in a big pile of majoritively dog crap.

What you do on myspace may be a good cause, But your souroundings, or neighbourhod, is also an important factor when it comes to reputation..
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont think u should knock it until you have an adequate experiance with what it is. for whatever reason you associate it negatively, yet it seems strange to make these assumptions unless you have made some molecule of an effort to what youre exactly knocking down. atleast do it with enough research. i actually dont really care if any of you guys join myspace, lol, but clearly there is a good reason for it gaining more hits than google and more members than anything else online. in a super short amount of time it has had exponential growth. that speaks for itself. but due to ur negativity i support that you never ever join myspace.
thanks for the feedback though, always interesting to read others oppinions.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have seen it. Our opinions are based on what we have seen on myspace... And i havn't seen a single thing on there that i would call interesting. We don't need to be submurged in it to see it's bulging at the brim with crap.

It's just profiles. Pages and pages full of profiles that detaiil the lives of boring people who i don't know.

I'm not doubting it's popularity, A lot of people do use it, But that just means people use it, It doesn't mean it's quality.
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok
sigh*
dont hate me now because of my association with myspace.
im really rather hip and happening. *sarcasm*
  • WebFreedom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • WebFreedom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! I guess I got what I asked for. :wink: Definitely an interesting dialog, and there are obviously widely differing opinions as to myspace's relevance and quality. As for me, I doubt I would personally have any interest whatsoever in surfing myspace and looking for items of interest. But that doesn't mean a lot of other people aren't interested, and it would appear that they are. If they have money, and they buy music, then I want them to buy MY music. I'm not too proud. :D

Sam
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azita_RG, I think the problem you're facing with this arguement is most of us that are doing the arguing would simply create our own domains, and either host our sites on our own servers or choose a good (not free) hosting service such as EV1 and then SEO the crap out of it. It wouldn't occur to us to use something like myspace. I mean think about it. Trying to market your website in a vast "neighborhood" as meman described it would be like trying to send a rocket to Orion and hope you hit it. It might be a great space for kids and novices who haven't the first clue about designing a site, but to web designers and developers it just isn't going to cut it.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The funny thing is, modifying the myspace layout isn't all that simple. My wife wanted me to set one up for her so she can keep in touch with old friends. You have to have a bit of HTML knowledge and modifying it isn't all that intuitive.

Of course there are sites dedicated to myspace layouts and other junk you can add to your page.

My wife was not very happy with my opinions of myspace either but I set it up for her to avoid any further arguments.

I would much rather purchase a domain and add it to my hosting and create a site for her instead.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing like giving people a little space to make themselves who they want to be, or someone else..

And give them the idea that they are newsworthy, deserve attention, and are the center of the universe.

Blogging about yourself is prettymuch the same thing. Oh to just have useful information on the web, imagine how much time would be saved.
  • arakno
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Lisboa

Post 3+ Months Ago

To each their own, though I was not aquainted with this expression i thinkl i agree with you.
Having a band myself its undoubtful its a good tool for getting promotion and feedback from your peers, but, it could be better accomplished if the site had a better design and stuff - of course.

but before publishing any work of yours let me suggest you visiting this link:

http://www.rinf.com/columnists/news/myspacefox-artists-beware

And for the curious matter i wouldn't mind to check on your profile Azita ;)
  • Azita_RG
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

im a 20 year old girl. i dont know a hell of a lot about purchasing domains or creating a site for myself. Nor do i really want to. Myspace is a free venue, maybe more targetted at a younger audience,that has been good to me. its been great to hear bands, see clothing lines promote themselves, but in a personal way, you talk to the owners, its not one illusive webmaster, its just all in one place and ive met great people, gone to fashion shows, won tickets to see NIN in vegas. and promoted what i want to through bullitens to the friends that ive added or have added me, people that i wouldnt know if it wasnt for myspace have shown up to charitable events. i like my layout, i change it up, or get my tech savvy male friends to fix it for me if i cant wrap my head around the HTML stuff. you play music on ur page, u see when ur fave bands will be playing or when, all in one place.

maybe its just not for what you guys are about... but to me its been great and id still highly recommend it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 44 posts