Pages that were on Google with title / text, now just links

• MikeGibbs
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: England (and a little in Spain)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm have a strange problem with my Spanish web directory & community
site (http://www.viva-almeria.com) and would really appreciate some help.

Problem summary
---------------
- Google recognises aproximately 5000 pages on the site.
- I noticed recently that a large proportion of the pages were recognised by Google as links, but no longer had the title / text etc.. (and thus no longer showed up on any searches)

What I did initially
--------------------
At one point it got down to just 400 pages being properly indexed, so I searched around on other forums and e-mailed Google.

Google said that this was due to the pages being dynamically generated. It's true that the pages are generated (and end in a
.php) BUT the pages had been fully captured before AND the pages don't have variable parameters (just, say
http://www.viva-almeria.com/ShowPage_P188.php). Thus I don't think it was this.

Advice in posts on forums has seemed hit and miss, as follows ...
- Some said that this just happens comes & goes.
- Some siad that Google would only pick up a certain number of pages depending on how highly rated the site is (but then my page rank hasn't gone down and the pages indexed suddenly started dropping).
- Some said that page redirects could mean a site was penalised and less pages cached.

I did have redirects on the site (this was because pages often get added and deleted, so when someone tried to access a deleted page I redirected them to the home). So I removed these and replaced with pages saying 'sorry no longer exists', a link to the home and the NOINDEX and NOFOLLOW set to let Google know this page should no longer be recognised.

After a few weeks, this seemed to do the trick and the numbers started rising steadily again (2000 out of 5000 properly indexed).

It's still not working
----------------------
However in the last few days it's taken a turn for the worse again (down to 1500 two days ago and yesterday down to 800) and I can't think why.

If anyone reading this can help, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have talked about this quite a few times in here. If you do a search or look through this category, you should find your answer.

Short answer - This has happened to many people including me. Be patient, my titles/descriptions were gone for about 2 months and then they came back.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts