Penalty for adding sites that are unrelated to yr site theme

• madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have made a web site for a client and requested for other link exchanges to some sites but none of them has replied. for some reason
it has been a week or more.

seems like they are not interested in link exchanges.
and every site of that category is abt the same - PR5, at most 6.

shld i ask for link exchanges with sites that are not of my theme>?
seems like i have no chioce.

done the dmoz. so have the other sites from what I have seen..
at this rate, I will only have to wait for dmoz. lol. and we all know how long it may take..

:idea: :?:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the PR of your Links Page? Do these sites regularly exchange links with other sites? If they do, go through the list of sites they have exchanged links with.

Some sites I try to exchange links with take week or two to get back to me, some the next day.

Have you tried the link exchange forums?
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I can see, they are either very slow in response or they are not interested in working on their sites no more. Thats my vibes though...

Most/if not all of these sites are already in dmoz.

PR is a zero. it is still a new site. yeah i tried link exchange forums . Maybe I should wait longer..
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would usually wait until your PR is at least showing. Most will look at your links page and think that you are possibly banned or stopping the pass of PR to the links page.

The PR bar should be updated soon.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the fast response vetofunk.

I havent even got a single backlink on that site.
haha. no replies at all so far.
my pr will remain 0.

hmm,. waiting for them to reply seems so pointless too. mebbe i shld email them all again. lol.

I feel like I am spamming them...
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You do not need outside links to get PR. Depending how many pages are on your actual site, they will build your homepage PR which will pass throughout your site.

What area of business is this site in?
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I totally forgot that pr is also based on number of pages too. the site is a car forum-based site.
I have requested for link exchange in jimworld with my other member acct. jim127. heheh.

no response yet.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw that one. I think people are just reluctant because you do not currently have any PR.

How about:
http://forums.seochat.com/f43/s
http://www.webproworld.com/viewforum.php?f=34
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol. I knew you will see that one.

yeah getting link exchange without pr is difficult for some categories. so far, thsi is the first time i have experienced the lack of interest.

other sites with different categories have been smooth with link exchanges so far. and they had no PR.

I will check out the links you sent me. + do abit of waiting of pr. thanks for now!

and i need to do more readings on seo. I cant believe that I forgot abt how pr can be derived frmo no. of pages as well.:-(
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many pages do you need to generate some form of pr im assuming at least 20+ just to generate 1 pr 1 page. and if google will only index 100 pages of your site your not going to get much PR that way.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have built sites that only had PR coming from other pages in the site, had less than 100 pages, and still got a PR of 5...and it's always 5, I hate 5.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
only had PR coming from other pages in the site

You must have had SOME external links to generate a PR-5?

My understanding is that a site with no outside links should generate a maximum PR-1.

I'll have to investigate this one a little more, are any of these sites with no back links still active?
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It might help to explain that your site is new...and maybe mention other sites you have optimized and how you new site will do as well....if no one is linking to you and your going to get good PR eventually...it would be smart to be one of a handful of outgoing links on your site...the PR you will be passing will be strong.

You may also try getting a few good PR links to you links page...this will speed up the time that it takes to pass the PR internally to your site.

I noticed over the past two updates that new pages/sites will get initially low PR and then after an update or two will get the expected PR...it's like google has to find you page and then find the links to it and then finally give you PR....then it would take another update to push it throught to your internal pages....by getting links to the internal page directly you can avoid an update or two waiting period.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
a site with no outside links should generate a maximum PR-1.

maybe you are right to say that. Sites with no links on other sites/directories will have a max of PR 1. if with links on dirs and no other websites, it may hit a PR 5.

btw vetofunk, are the sites you have done with PR 5 results of directories submission?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was actually before the directory submission. The site has about 80 inner pages pointing to the homepage.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

So is that an indication that even low PR links can add up to some PR if you have enough of them?
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

This does not feel right to me ...

Page rank is supposed to be a measure of the number and quality of links. Even 80 PR-0 votes should not give you a PR-5.

I am still working on some theories in this area ... I will come back to this issue when I have more details.

For now ...
Quote:
even low PR links can add up to some PR if you have enough of them?

The answer is YES ... all links are good links!
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"and it's always 5, I hate 5."...yes but it's better than 4....lol
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pr 5 with no backlinks stil sounds good to me :-)
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

madmonk

Quote:
they are either very slow in response or they are not interested in working on their sites

I was interested in your theory so I wrote another program. :idea:

I went back and looked at the non-responders for my link requests and almost half of them have not updated their link pages in a year or more. In one case it has been over three years. :lol:

Now I check for the "If-Modified-Since HTTP header" on the link page before I waste my time.

Check some of them out at http://www.mrktcity.com/forms/last_mod.pl

I know I am .... :)
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtchar...great to have some one with your skills in the forum!

I never though to check the file headers...derrr...but I guess when sites get enough links and PR to get to the top of the SE's people just get complacent....thus no link updates or responses. Wonder if they take in to account how they got to the top....obvoiusly not by other sites not responding!
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

great tool rtchar.
I have thought that the sites that I have contacted, are not even doing anything about their links for a long time.
I checked them sites with yr tool and its true!
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well like they say (99% inspiration, 1% perspiration) ... thanks for the inspiration. :)

There are plenty of people here with talent ... you just gotta ask the right questions!
  • dreams
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New Delhi

Post 3+ Months Ago

put 10-15 outgoing links from your site, dont worry if someone not putting yr link. Still you get PR of 4 or 5 then you can ask for link exchange ..
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard this myth already, it usually goes something like this ...

"Put links to high ranked 'charitable' sites ... Google will see you are a good netizen and GIVE you some page rank." :lol:

PR is a measure of the number and quality of back links. Outgoing links of any type will not help YOUR page rank ... unless they are reciprocated!
  • Shrek_Update
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
put 10-15 outgoing links from your site, dont worry if someone not putting yr link. Still you get PR of 4 or 5 then you can ask for link exchange ..

In a way he is right, rtchar, but with one remark. Just link is not engough. There is also requirement for good content around these links. Principle on which directories work. And for some reason google in fact does give page rank to such pages even though there are no backlinks. Now whether this depends on PR of these links or not i am not sure. But this is just my observation.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have only one site that would meet the criteria ...

It has 68 links to high ranked gov't and industry publications (none reciprocated).

Only two back links ... both come from an advertiser with PR-3

The site still has a PR-0 for the domain after a couple of years.

So when does the magical PR reversal start. :lol:
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think he is trying to explain the "authority" site idea. An authority site will not only have a great deal of backlinks, but they will also have great deal outgoing links. This would show that they are the center of the industry. Then showing that they are an authority site. Do I believe it? :-/
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am sorry ... my turn to go off topic ... but I just hate when people spread Google myths and legends. :oops:

Back to the question at hand ....
madmonk
Quote:
seems like they are not interested in link exchanges.

I'll tell you exactly what I do ...

Find your major competitor in whatever area you like. Then run a link harvester through the link page(s). The one I use (wrote) at http://www.mrktcity.com/linkpr.html shows all external links with page rank.

Click on each site with a PR of 3 or above and find their link page. If that page has PR-2 or higher send an email asking if they would like to link up. If there are plenty of links on their page, record the URL for scanning later.

Keep following all new link pages and keep a record of those sites you contact. We don't want to SPAM anyone. :lol:

I usually wait about four weeks and contact anyone who did not respond to give them another chance. Then I delete the address from my spreadsheet if there is no reply to the second email.

You can also use the Last Modified tool at http://www.mrktcity.com/forms/last_mod.pl to see if they are updating their link pages before contacting them.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do use to keep record on a notepad. and your tool is in my favourites right now :-) So far, nothing good has come up. There was a webmaster who wanted to link up but the page he is offering me is near worthless :-(
- too deep level
-he has abt 4 n half thousand links in link page.

It wil be interesting to see how this site will go. heh

no way it is gonna be an authority site though... heh heh.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 36 posts