Pr question

• darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly how much PR dose a new upoaded website with no external links have per page???
how many pages back to the front page to get a PR1???
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry it took a while to answer this post ...

According to the published formula each page starts with PR-1 for voting purposes.

So technically a 2 page site with each page only linked with each other is a PR-1 site.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought there was a dampner of .85 or something.
can you get a page up to PR5 with just 100 links from pages on the same site only linking to the frontpage.?
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

Impossible
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I thought there was a dampner of .85 or something.

The original formula is
.15 + .85*(pr 1/number of links 1 ... + pr n/number of links n)

I have never tested the formula on a completely internal link structure.

You would need to know how the pages are linked to each other, in order to produce a proper calculation. Would the first page contain 100 links to all the other pages?
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

JUST TO A SITEMAP PAGE?
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
can you get a page up to PR5 with just 100 links from pages on the same site only linking to the frontpage.?

Just ran it through the formula ...

Home page (32.61908236) is a low PR-2
Site map (27.87551552) is likely a high PR-1
All others (0.386941882) is PR-0

This assumes the site map is linked from the home page ... and the home page is linked from all other pages. :)
  • BinaryMan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: CA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As stated in my other post, I believe the maximum "concentration" of PR on a site (with no external backlinks) is between 40-50% of the site's pagecount, assuming all pages link to a hub page, and the hub page links to all other pages, and there are no interlinks between the pages.

BTW, how are subdomains treated with respect to indexing? I know they are separate "sites" as far as the bot is concerned, but if googlebot has indexed the sub-site on the subdomain, I should be able to search for "link:sub.domain.com" and get something right? If pages on the subsite link to "www.domain.com/page.php" then I should see multiple links on a google search for links to that URL, correct?
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
maximum "concentration" of PR on a site (with no external backlinks) is between 40-50%

I think you are correct. The best I could do (by eliminating the site map), was close to 45%

So in order to achieve a PR-5 site you would need over 11,000 pages.

Quote:
I should be able to search for "link:sub.domain.com" and get something right?

Links are handled on a page by page basis. If there are links to the sub-domain they MIGHT show up in the backlinks. It is pretty screwed up right now. :)

If pages link from the sub-domain then they WILL be counted. Whether they will be displayed or not is entirely up to Google.

I don't think links are treated much differently regardless of source.

If you look at it from Google's perspective ... what value is there for the CUSTOMER. What would be the point in showing 10,000 internal links?
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
If you look at it from Google's perspective ... what value is there for the CUSTOMER. What would be the point in showing 10,000 internal links?

I hate to agree with you rtchar coz I am sick of it :roll:

:lol: but my thinking is the same. there is no benefit to treat them differetnly. Having subdomains/ add on domains will still attribute to the domain name (if done properly). even if they are treated as individual websites, they are still within the webmaster's control...
  • BinaryMan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: CA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah. One thing I was trying to determine is how to know when my pages will get indexed. I know it takes about 4-6 weeks usually, and the googlebot HAS been on my site about 10 times in the last month. Even if it won't display more than a sample of the internal links, I'd like to be able to get an accurate count on how many pages it considers to be linking to the main page. Which command is best for that? I did a google alert for "link:www.mydomain.com/page.html" so maybe I will see it.

I agree that subdomains are probably handled like the subpages of a site. It's probably better to have several domains with content pointing to your main page than subdomains. Domains are cheap, but setting up multiple hostings for them is more expensive.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I should be very clear about my position here ...

Links pointing to any page (even sub-domain pages) will be counted as backlinks for that page and will also be used in calculating PR for that page. Technically backlinks are NOT attributed to the domain, but the default page.

I noticed in the last update Google has merged the PR and backlinks for my domain and default page. It seems they NOW determine which page is the default.

Quote:
subdomains are probably handled like the subpages of a site.

We know this is not true, because many hosted sites use the sub-domain format (site.domain.com). They retain their own links and PR seperate from the hosting domain.

Quote:
One thing I was trying to determine is how to know when my pages will get indexed

I assume you mean included in the index?

site:www.domain.com

Will list all pages from the domain included in the index. If your internal pages are showing then Google has followed your links inside.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I hate to agree with you rtchar coz I am sick of it

What is wrong with agreeing ... when an argument is well researched, honest, and truthful. How CAN you disagree? :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts